Question windows 8.1 upgrade to 10 question about disk space

iikii

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Hi, my c drive has around 10gb of space. If i deleted my health recovery partition, i will have 30gb space.

From googling, it seems the upgrade requires 20gb. If after I upgraded. am i going to be left with 10gb or back to 30gb? or what's the actual left of my disk space?

thanks

A bare install of Windows 10 takes under 20 GB; that is NOT fully updated.

Fully updated, Windows 10 takes up somewhere in the 20s, I have not checked exactly where.

Not sure that answers your question. I don't know how much free space the update process would demand without complaint.

What is the total size of your boot drive?

I'd think you could do a clean install, not an "upgrade".

iikii

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
A bare install of Windows 10 takes under 20 GB; that is NOT fully updated.

Fully updated, Windows 10 takes up somewhere in the 20s, I have not checked exactly where.

Not sure that answers your question. I don't know how much free space the update process would demand without complaint.

What is the total size of your boot drive?

I'd think you could do a clean install, not an "upgrade".

Around 100gb, I have files/softwares i need so a clean install seems dangerous to me.

From what you said, I will be left with 10gb after upgrading.?? Or is it that the 20gb of installation files can be deleted after the upgrade?
Hope someone knows.

Around 100gb, I have files/softwares i need so a clean install seems dangerous to me.

Are your personal files backed up to another drive?

If not, can you do that?

I would not even think of upgrading without personal file backup.

You can "upgrade" without losing your files or applications, but I've never attempted it and don't know the headaches it might involve.

If you had a totally empty drive and did a clean install......about 15 to 20 gb would be occupied IMMEDIATELY AFTER that clean install but BEFORE Windows Update did it's normal thing.

AFTER Windows Update, total occupied space would be in the 20s somewhere I think.

That is BEFORE any applications are installed and BEFORE any of your personal data....games, movies, mp3s, video, etc.

I think the upgrade process will demand some level of free space before beginning, but I'm not sure what that amount is.

Reactions: iikii