Windows 8.1 vs Win 7: Software Compatibility, Stability, XP-Style?

lifematrix

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I'm building a new PC primarily to run iClone, DAZ Studio and some newer software and games. And I am still torn between Windows 8 and Windows 7. Thing is, I still use older software. And I have a rather large collection of oldish or very old games. Some of it dates back to the '90's - even some MSDOS stuff.

My understanding is that Win 7 has better compatibility with older software. Is this correct?

Also, I've read that Win 7 Pro and Ultimate come with an XP Mode (version Windows XP that runs inside Win 7). Though, I do own an extra copy of XP Pro and I suppose I could just create a separate partition for it or run in a Virtual Machine...

At first, I wouldn't even consider Windows 8 as there's a lot I didn't like about it. I loathe the desktop layout, the lack of a Start button, and so much more, especially since I've been using XP for a very long time.

However, after reading "How to eradicate Metro from your Windows 8.1 PC", which has tips and mod suggestions to make it very much like Win 7, I am willing to consider it. Also, I've heard that Win 8 is "better optimized to the latest hardware" and generally runs faster than Win 7. And when one considers that Win XP support just ended and Win 7 support will stop in 2020, the fact that Win 8 will be around is good for peace of mind.

Win 7, on the other hand, is often touted as being more "stable", with less bugs and hardware problems. However, I've seen personal anecdotes also claim the opposite, that Win 8 turned out to be much more stable for their hardware. So I guess it all depends on your particular hardware and the drivers you have installed.

I'm building a new system with recent, modern components. Will that make it less likely I'd run into driver problems or other issues?

Also, as someone who really likes XP, this sounds nice:
Make the Windows 7 Taskbar Work More Like Windows XP or Vista

All things considered, the promise of extra speed with Win 8 is quite tempting. And I suppose I could fix up a cheap, old sytem with Win 98 for old stuff. Though, I worry that some of my XP software may not run in Win 8...

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Honestly I don't get emotionally attached to any OS any more. I loved XP for the longest as Vista was horrid then came along 7 and all was good in the world. 8 blitzed in when I was just getting used to 7 and now we already have "8.1". For stories too long too list, I'd just get 8.1 or whichever OS is cheapest if you are trying to save $10 or $15. I have simply learned to adapt to each new iteration and my frustration levels with some bugs I've dealt with on any windows OS has teased me to run back to linux but because of all my heavy gaming as of late I find myself sticking with it. I'm not as begrudging as this may all sound however. I am now accustomed to 8.1 and I do notice the improved performance albeit slight. I've found that some games simply do not work that are older and others do. I have not discerned a clear pattern as of yet. Your concerns are valid and I see your logic but honestly I believe it's mostly opinions that you will be hearing. You had to take the plunge with XP at one point back in the day, see for yourself which one you like best knowing that none of them will be around nearly as long as XP ever was again. Having an old win98 system ready for the non compatible games is very smart idea. Here's to gaming with the old and the new! Best of luck whatever you may decide!

Cheers,

Justin S.