Windows 8.1 will not update,freezes when i click install updates

Sammylonghead

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I cant update windows 8.1 because, the Windows Update tab freezes a tiny bit through preparing update; i have like 1gb of updates i have to download.
Does anybody know a fix?

Solution
I'm going to point you to a web page where you can change one setting, and Windows will tell you what it is doing when it is starting up, and preparing to shutdown, and when its working on updates. These will appear in the same place on the blue screen that tells you not to shut down while Windows is applying the updates. Now the messages may not mean much to you, but it might give us a clue as to what part of the process is freezing up.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-verbose-status-message-windows

I found it easiest to drag the mouse to the lower left corner where the windows icon pops up (formerly the start button), and right click and select Run, and type in gpedit.msc, and then follow that on out.
I'm going to point you to a web page where you can change one setting, and Windows will tell you what it is doing when it is starting up, and preparing to shutdown, and when its working on updates. These will appear in the same place on the blue screen that tells you not to shut down while Windows is applying the updates. Now the messages may not mean much to you, but it might give us a clue as to what part of the process is freezing up.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-verbose-status-message-windows

I found it easiest to drag the mouse to the lower left corner where the windows icon pops up (formerly the start button), and right click and select Run, and type in gpedit.msc, and then follow that on out.

Solution

Sammylonghead

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014

when i try to run gpedit.msc it says does not exist

When you boot up, when you restart or shutdown, or when Windows is working on updates, it should start telling you things you never saw before right on that pretty blue screen windows uses when telling you not to turn off the computer while windows is working on updates. If the computer freezes when a message is on that screen, it might give us a hint at what part of what process is freezing.