Windows 8.1 Won't Boot after Acronis Install

Steven Battisti

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hey folks,

Running a Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop with Windows 8.1. Today I was trying to install Acronis True Image Home 8. It's an older version of the software. I suspected it wouldn't work for running backups and so forth, but I just needed to access a .tib file and thought I would be able to at least mount the .tib and access the files in there.

Unfortunately, Windows 8.1 disagrees heartily. After the installation, the machine no longer boots at all. It doesn't even get to the Windows login screen before flashing a momentary message saying something like "there was a problem". Then it reboots. Rinse and repeat.

- I was able to get to the Win 8.1 boot menu and try Safe Mode - same result.
- I tried the "repair Windows startup" too, but it was unable to find anything to fix.
- I tried powering down for a while and trying again - same result.

That's how far I've gotten so far in troubleshooting this.

Suggestions for how to proceed??

Thanks!

lucas7004

Distinguished
May 15, 2015

try to reninstall windows with the option of keep all files. the programme might have corrupted some of the data and it no longer boots to keep the already crrupted data to spread.

lucas7004

Distinguished
May 15, 2015

i think so. it should say in the description that it should not delete anything and should repair windows. and it would still have everything you had on the system before.

Steven Battisti

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
So, I tried to do a Refresh, and unfortunately it gave me this message: "The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again." Trying to figure out what the story is with that now.

lucas7004

Distinguished
May 15, 2015

I'm not very sure what to do in this case. Try exploring the bios advanced settings and go into storage, then the boot drive and find something their. If you can't find anything, look up how to unlock a drive

TRENDING THREADS