Windows 8.1 won't boot up after corrupt hard drive

TheArtOfWar

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Good morning (if it can be described as such) my computer won't boot the OS anymore after I received an error of corrupt C: drive (where my OS is installed). This message came up after I restarted my computer with the forced restart button after I forgot to switch it off last night.

Now, the windows logo appears but after that a grey screen appears with nothing on it where normally the login page should be.

I can access the UEFI BIOS Utility with Delete or F2 but not safe mode. What do I from here? I have tried changing the boot priority to my HDD but nothing. I've also tried mashing Shift+F8 but it only brings up a menu with the option to load from the CD drive, HDD or access the UEFI BIOS.
I've tried all three and now I'm desperate.

What can I do in the BIOS program? Help please...

Motherboard is ASUS Z87 Pro with Win 8.1, there's a Boot menu in the BIOS program called ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility

Could be old / faulty. Malware MAY have corrupted files on it

Try another SATA cable. It maybe faulty. Or try another SATA port

Remove the hdd and put it in another system. See if the system can read it.

If it hangs on the post screen, then it maybe too corrupt to use it

Do you have the Windows 8 DVD?

See if windows can be reinstalled. If it takes forever (which may happen if the hdd is corrupt) or it crashes or something. Replace the hdd. Hopefully (files maybe corrupt, not the whole hdd), then it maybe OK / install OK

There's no point trying to install Windows on a corrupt hdd

TheArtOfWar

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Is there a possibility that viruses nest within documents as well? I don't mind rewriting a few assignments so I guess I won't risk it. Thanks again, I'll probably have a few questions about partitioning & what not, so please stay on a few more minutes.

TheArtOfWar

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
@PaulNZ I regularly performed virus scams with Malwarebytes, Windows defender & adware cleaners but I still think there were a few left. I even used a registry cleaner a week ago. Could this be the cause of the corrupt HDD? A regcleaner?

reg cleaners can delete valid entries in the registry. They may not corrupt a hdd. But if you delete something important (if the program doesnt back up what you remove). It can make windows unusable. Or even screw things up completely

I avoid using reg cleaners.

But if you can download that ISO I posted then burn it or extract it to a flash drive. Boot from it.

If your system has a rootkit, it maybe or can be possible that something like this has corrupted the files or hdd somehow

Reboot. Put the DVD in go into the BIOS.

If this is a UEFI system / mobo change it to UEFI in the BIOS first. Look for AHCI in the BIOS. Enable it as well

Change the bootdisk to cd/dvd. Save settings restart. When it reboots it may say press a key. Press a key. Wait for the setup screen

TheArtOfWar

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
@paulNZ I now have the options to partition the drives but as I can see, the drive is half full from the previous install. I guess I format the partition 1 (system reserved) and partition 2 (files, programs, etc)

TheArtOfWar

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

How would recommend partitioning my 1Tb drive? I have 931Gb available, what is best? Only two partitions: one for the OS and the other for dat, or multiple partitions like 1 of 331Gb and 3 of 200Gb each?

Delete all partitions first. Then you can recreate them. Down the bottom right if you want 4 partitions of 250 gb each type in 250000 then OK

I'm using a 1 Tb 3.5 here and partitioned it into 4 250 GB partitions. Up to you really how many partitions you want...And how big . Dont go over 4 partitions tho. I think the max is 4... If you make the partitions too small, you wont be able to add any more once you're in windows.

Then click on the partition (not the reserved partition) you want to reinstall Windows on. Then it should start installing Win8

Yup select custom on the setup screen

TheArtOfWar

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

1 partition for OS and 3 others, will this help in future for data recovery if something of the sorts happened again? Also what antivirus do you recommend?

I find that most of the other AV programs slow the system down, or they'll crash it.

I'm using Win8 here and just using windows defender. I know it's not the best.

But I would rather have something thats stable, than install something else thats going to crash all the time. Or slow the system down when I boot into windows

TheArtOfWar

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

I used to think the same but when I went looking into my program files and registry, I saw a few dodgy keys and entries so I decided to try malware bytes. There were quite a few but it still wasn't enough I guess :/
In future, how do you recommend to clean my registry?

TRENDING THREADS