Windows 8 32Bit to 64Bit + Comp Problems

Yots

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Hi there, I've recently been trying to get my laptop to be a 64Bit. Unfortunately,I don't know how to do this and I'm having some computers which may make it difficult to become 64Bit. Currently, whenever I go onto the Start Menu (The tiles which is designed for touchscreen) I cannot use any of the tiles, they instantly crash. This also means I cannot go to the settings portion on my computer to go to factory mode... Or even update my versions of windows. I'm assuming it's due to a virus but I have already tried many security softwares (Malware Bytes, McAfee, IOBit) and none of them have worked. I think it's best just to start windows from factory mode to fix this. I would need a way to do that without using the normal way though. Oh, and I'd like to keep all the programs and files on my computer if possible. Thanks!

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
what do you mean when you say you are trying to make your laptop 64bits? You can't just switch it like that. Your CPU needs to be 64bits, if it's not, than you need to change at least that.

Yots

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Specifically the operating system. I'll give a bit more information: I got this laptop about two years ago and it was advertised as a Windows 8 64Bit and in fact, when I go on the specifications it will actually say it is 64Bit. I think they may have installed the wrong one though and given me a 32Bit. This being because I have tried a couple of programs that will only work with a 64Bit system and it says mine is 32Bit. Another indicator is that when I go on the task manager, next to many of the applications running it will say 32Bit.

One last thing - I'm not an especially tech savvy person, so please dumb down any information regarding how to fix it. Thanks!

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I don't think you can install windows 32bit on 64bit hardware. So most likely your windows version is fine. Most software run on 32 bits, very little run in 64. Can I ask which software you are trying to run?