windows 8 and changing motherboard do i need to buy a new copy?

noony222

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Hi I am about to change my motherboard (a generic acer predator motherboard) which when new came with windows 8. I want to change it to a asus p877 v lx still using same processor for now.. question is, will i need a new copy of windows 8 if I do this?
thanks

Solution
I guess it depends. Did you buy the computer pre-built or do you own a copy of Windows 8?

If it's prebuilt, you won't be able to. If you own the CDs you should be able to, however you'll want to back-up your data and may have to re-install Windows. You never know what instability you could introduce by switching the motherboard. It's my understanding that you would need a fresh install to eliminate that instability.

I hope that helps!

It sounds like this thread should be able to answer any other questions you may have.

DonQuixoteMC

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
I guess it depends. Did you buy the computer pre-built or do you own a copy of Windows 8?

If it's prebuilt, you won't be able to. If you own the CDs you should be able to, however you'll want to back-up your data and may have to re-install Windows. You never know what instability you could introduce by switching the motherboard. It's my understanding that you would need a fresh install to eliminate that instability.

I hope that helps!

It sounds like this thread should be able to answer any other questions you may have.

DonQuixoteMC

Solution

noony222

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
great stuff, yea I think it's a case of buying windows 8 all over again :(... it was all a manufacture build but is slowly become a self build with only the motherboard, ram and processor still the same.

I got some patriot limited edition ram which is 16gb (2x8gb) at a bargain price and can't get it to work on the system either, it appears to boot for about 5 seconds then switches off... I am guessing this is more compatibility with the motherboard rather than faulty ram?
It's just so difficult finding any support for the Acer motherboard... I think it needs changing lol

thank you for response... big help :) (Y)

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

No problem!
Something to check with the RAM issue would be the Motherboard's maximum supported memory. It might just not be able to handle 16GB. Or, one of the sticks might be faulty as well. You should also try different slots for the RAM, sometimes the connector itself is faulty. A final thing: the 8GB sticks might draw more power than the board is providing. If BIOS locks the voltage to a certain level, and the RAM isn't stable with that level of power, you will need to up the voltage. Use this as a last resort however, as lower voltage is always safer.

Anyway,
Good luck fixing the RAM problem!
Happy I could help with the Windows 8 question. I wish you could transfer the OS like that :)

DonQuixoteMC