Windows 8 and Games

bbayless

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Hello guys I just recently upgraded to windows 8 from windows 7. I keep all of my games installed on a secondary hard drive. When I set this new machine up and tried to run some of those games its giving me errors and saying to reinstall the games. Diablo III is the only one to work so far. When I use to do the same thing reinstalling windows 7 they would work just fine. I guess it because the change of operating system.

USAFRet

Titan
Windows on one drive, applications and games on another
When you install a new OS, what is happening is exactly what is expected.

You must reinstall all the applications and games. The new OS (Registry, AppData, etc) does not know about the location of the games.

So yes, it asking you to reinstall is fully normal.

bbayless

Honorable
May 23, 2013
thank you guys for the insight. The other problem is if I reinstall the games I will loose my saved games. I guess there is a way to back up the games before I do this eh? I don't know it may be better to go back to windows 7.

USAFRet

Titan

If you reinstall Win7, you will have the same issue. It is a new OS, and will know nothing about the current applications and games.

I'm sure there is a way to save your saved games, but it differs for each one. Look around online.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

That all depends on the game. Check your libraries - a lot of games will put the save file in the "My Games" folder of My Documents in Win XP/7 (no idea about 8) and others will save them in a directory of the games themselves. If you use Steam at all, it can back up it's own games in a way that can be easily restored on the new OS (which, since you've already installed the new OS, that's a bit late, but you'll know for next time.)

bbayless

Honorable
May 23, 2013
thanks for the help guys. I forgot all about the game saves being in my documents folder. hopefully they will all be there to get going. I have too many games going at once...LOL. Just need to finish one at a time...