Windows 8 and Windows XP

Dark Ritz

Honorable
May 19, 2013
I installed Windows XP after I installed Windows 8. I recognize that this was wrong and I make my apologies to the community for doing such a stupid thing.

Now, moving on, I need to know if there is a way to fix Windows 8. I upgraded to 8 from a previous XP install on the C:/ drive using the update from the Microsoft website, so I don't have any Windows 8 installation media.

Yes No Maybe?

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
you should be able to download the update again from the microsoft store. do you still have the product key? if not it might be saved under your account in the store as well, but that i dont know for sure.

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
If you installed Windows XP over Windows 8, thus removing the Windows 8 environment, you will need to reinstall Windows 8 from media which you can access through the links provided by others (The_Prophecy).

If your installation was in attempt to create a dual boot system, then you can repair the boot files to allow both operating systems to boot fairly easily. You will still need boot media or access to the Windows Recovery Environment. Once in the Windows Recovery Environment with access to a command prompt, you can use the BootRec tool to recreate the Boot Configuration Database (BCD) which will launch Windows 8 and Windows XP. Instructions on use of BootRec are available here from Microsoft Support. As the BCD has been overwritten, running

Code:
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd
should recreate it, then search your system for compatible installations. It will then prompt you to add both the Windows XP and the Windows 8 environment to the BCD.

TRENDING THREADS