Windows 8 Beta Screenshots Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I hope 8 is going to have Kinect integration. My gaming rig is connected to my 55in HDTV and it would be great if i could navigate Windows with just hand and voice.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Dear Tom's Hardware,

As much as I respect this website and its news team (except Gruener), I'd like to request you to stop assuming that your audience consists of "average users" and hence stop using the word "leak" to describe what should be called a "release" instead.

TL;DR: I don't believe that Apple, MS, Google and others are dumb enough to have these "leaks" all the time. Use the correct terminology.

Sincerely,

amk-aka-phantom

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Will it have a normal interface for desktops like windows/XP? I don't think I could get used to that.[/citation]

Yes, it has that.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Dear Tom's Hardware,As much as I respect this website and its news team (except Gruener), I'd like to request you to stop assuming that your audience consists of "average users" and hence stop using the word "leak" to describe what should be called a "release" instead.TL;DR: I don't believe that Apple, MS, Google and others are dumb enough to have these "leaks" all the time. Use the correct terminology.Sincerely, amk-aka-phantom[/citation]

a leak usualy comes from someone inside who wants to get something out, possibly didn't know, and or it was given to someone and they weren't suppose to release it ever/if at all, not till a certain date.

what you could think, more than release, is someone broke an nda and got these out, as thats the most likely.

rumor leaks though, with nothing to back them up, are just rumors.

and so you also know, the reason these kind of things never get pulled/dont get pulled, is because they are treated as rumors by most, and most of the time people think its fake, if it gets pulled... well... we than know for a fact it was real.

point being, for minor leaks its better pr to turn a blind eye.

leak in video games however... that is a different story. while i can believe that some pres kits were given to bad blogs that release the content, i just cant believe it happening as often as the word leak is used.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]Yes, it has that.[/citation]

but to what compasity... we have seen metro in EVERY demo, and i have to say, when they demo the desktop, they alway switch back to metro for a moment, because thats the new "start menu"

remember when they decided that metro would be used to launch a program instead of clicking to launch... its videos like that where i go, yea we have a normal desktop... but how avoidable is metro?

G

These are crappy "leaks", such a good job with win 7 and now they are going to give us this. Yeah, lets chase after apple who has what?, 8% of the market share. Or where the translation comes that we want our computers to look like our cell phones. I don't get it, I want better core "coolness" and all this app bs is just that. Think Vista would have taught MS a lesson. I want to see the OS, not "screenshots" of an ipad labeled as windows 8 :(

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]Yes, it has that.[/citation]

But even if it has that, the default interface will be the tiled one.
That is, it will fall back to it in ceratin situations, at least according to the testers earlier.
And they also said that there were two controll panels, which is confusing.

No reason to switch to it from win7, programs will still be 100% compatible, it is said.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I am usually reserved when it comes to new Windows versions and features, but I believe this will be a new WinME/Vista failure. For tablets/ARM devices the flat tile look may prove great, especially those familiar with WP7, but for people using a mouse/keyb combo this will be an utter turnoff, especially since the OS seems to fall back to the tiled look every now and then. I could underatand if tiles were an "addon" to the regular desktop version, but then they could have just released that as a "Windows 7 Tablet Edition" or whatever. Or make a clean desktop version and a clean tile version, not both mixed in some horrid mix.

Going from the pleasing blue look in Windows 7 to a 2-dimensional mix of colorful tiles is a major turn off for me, and I will definately not upgrade unless MS makes sure you can get rid of the junk in "desktop" mode. Also, I have not seen any special new features in Win8 that seems useful to me, it seems all the focus has been put into the tiles and nothing else.

As I said, for tablets I can see the tile design very useful and for once a true focus on tablet devices, but they seem to have forgot that the majority doesn't have an ARM/x86 tablet, and for those Win8 will not offer them anything.

I would rather seen Win8 being named Windows 8 Tablet Edition or something, only then can I accept the direction Microsoft aims at with Win8. Otherwise I'll skip the OS, just as i did with Win98 (not SE), WinME and Vista.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
"I would rather seen Win8 being named Windows 8 Tablet Edition or something"
Right on the money.
This tablet/metro thing seems to be the only thing that Microsoft is tooting in Win8. Even the underlying "desktop" underneath Metro seems to be a hashed/slashed/cooked version of of old WinPhone.....

G

windows lost me when all my old software was no longer useable at Vista, so its linux and windows xp for me. When XP stops just linux, I don't want to be bothered with buying all new software

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
windows lost me when all my old software was no longer useable at Vista, so its linux and windows xp for me. When XP stops just linux, I don't want to be bothered with buying all new software

Ha, somehow I hear a lot of those complaints and the only old software that didn't work for me on Vista was Diablo 2 - threw a "known compatibility issue" error. I wonder how many of the users REALLY had a lot of software refusing to work...

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
There is always something new and changes. Otherwise we'd still be using commodore 64 and crappy ms-dos as our only PCs. You won't be using xp or your current version of Linux 10 years from now. Even today's Linux is different from 10 years ago.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
quit your complaining...you can run old software using dosbox, winxp mode, or vm...no need to stay in the past with your host os...:p

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]crazypcman[/nom]windows lost me when all my old software was no longer useable at Vista, so its linux and windows xp for me. When XP stops just linux, I don't want to be bothered with buying all new software[/citation]

Use a Virtual Machine with XP installed and you get the best of both worlds (including Linux!). That being said, I don't understand people's complaint with the Tiles. Microsoft has said over and over again that it can be turned off so you can utilize the standard taskbar on a PC. Besides, how long would it take for developers to help us modify win8 to turn off Tiles permanently?

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Metro --> MS future failure. Metro is pain in butt to use even on Phone not to mention desktop. What are they thinking? Are they expecting from me to use keyboard and mouse to browse huge ass tiles on my screen?

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
MS is going into wrong direction since Windows Vista and they lost it.
Metro is tied to lot of things so i am not even sure if it is going to be possible to completely remove it. In any case offers nothing over Windows 7 for people to upgrade therefore they are setting themselves for a big dissapointment. And Steve Ballmer needs to go ASAP, he is better off to work at Circus.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
First, I don't think MS cares how many screen leaks or torrent leaks people get. All screens, even leaked are not final and MS can not comment on it. For the torrent leaks, I think the betas all have an expire date so they can't even load after a specific time (even when changing the clock). Also no one will care about the betas after the alphas are out. And so on, and so forth...

Second, I hear lots of complaints about the new metro UI - myself included. So, my guess is - if people start to use Windows 8 on the phone and tablets, then see its possible to use the UI on the desktop, this will all make sense. After a few years.

Villers

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I'm not liking this tiles thing at all, like many others (Microsoft should realize that many don't by now). Windows could use a UI change but not like this. It feels closed off. it seems just like another media center except ugly, there is no design to it. At least put some damned drop shadows or something visually appealing, it needs depth. It Just seems to cover up all the stuff I really want to get to.This feels like a step back.
I don't want to look at a bunch of squares and rectangles. I want see a nice background and pull up what I want to look at. I don't want to look at all the apps I have. I would be happy with just animated 3D (ish) icons as a UI change.

Microsoft get the hint already... the tiles are ugly. I want my system to be visually appealing. The one thing windows has going for it is its "open" feeling, like a window. I realize this can be turned off but then it will only be win7 with a different number, security fixes, and slight enhancements. Focus on the enhancements! stop trying to radically change things and work with what you have now and make it better. You were on the right track with windows7, don't let this be another flop like ME or Vista. I have a feeling im going to be like diehard XP users only with windows 7 instead. and drop the price a little too. I I have 5 computers in my home I cant afford to put a new os on all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.