Windows 8 better or worse than Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jale1966

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hi All

I know Windows 8 still in early stages, so for you that have preview it from a 1 to 5 rating with 5 being Awesome and 1 I would not waste my money on it. What do you think of Windows 8 so far.

Dale

Solution
Love it or not, when support for Windows 7 is gone, Windows 8 is what you'll have. So you might as well just bite the bullet, bend over, spread your cheeks as wide as you can and accept whatever Micro$haft have to give to you.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

I honestly hate with a passion people who berate a product without knowing anything. If you had read the forums like i do you would know that the dev build and beta were focused on Tablet makers and developers to show what it can do for them. They even stated that in the final build you can disable it for good as a starting option when you install.

jdwii

Splendid

Any proof?

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah theres proof look it up in windows 8 forums on tomshardware. Im not gonna post proof because you dont have any proof and im too lazy to go look through 5 threads for your one post. If you dont believe me then dont but if you want proof you can go look it up yourself.

jdwii

Splendid

lol I've been looking for info about this i'm sure they will because if they don't windows 8 will be a failure.

And look what i found

Sinofsky revealed that Microsoft will be very clear in its product marketing to ensure end users are aware that Windows 8 ARM will not run their old legacy x86 applications. “We are going to be very clear with how we name the product, what we talk about as the features and value proposition,” said Sinofsky. “It’s only to our advantage to not have confused customers.” He then went on to explain that Microsoft will not allow a world where a customer goes into a store and has to buy software in a red box for ARM and a green box for x86. “We won’t ever let that happen to a customer,” said Sinofsky. “We will be clear what the value proposition and what the software is capable and we’ll do that with all the communication tools at our disposal.''

http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-planning-to-market-windows-8-arm-in-a-unique-way-different-naming/

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

You made me look it up so heres proof:
We believe there is room for a more elegant, perhaps a more nuanced, approach. You get a beautiful, fast and fluid, Metro style interface and a huge variety of new apps to use. These applications have new attributes (a platform) that go well beyond the graphical styling (much to come on this at Build). As we showed, you get an amazing touch experience, and also one that works with mouse, trackpad, and keyboard. And if you want to stay permanently immersed in that Metro world, you will never see the desktop—we won’t even load it (literally the code will not be loaded) unless you explicitly choose to go there! This is Windows reimagined.

But if you do see value in the desktop experience—in precise control, in powerful windowing and file management, in compatibility with hundreds of thousands of existing programs and devices, in support of your business software, those capabilities are right at your fingertips as well. You don’t need to change to a different device if you want to edit photos or movies professionally, create documents for your job or school, manage a large corpus of media or data, or get done the infinite number of things people do with a PC today. And if you don’t want to do any of those “PC” things, then you don’t have to and you’re not paying for them in memory, battery life, or hardware requirements. If you do want or need this functionality, then you can switch to it with ease and fluidity because Windows is right there. Essentially, you can think of the Windows desktop as just another app.

Windows 8 brings together all the power and flexibility you have in your PC today with the ability to immerse yourself in a Metro style experience. You don’t have to compromise! You carry one device that does everything you want and need. You can connect that device to peripherals you want to use. You can use devices designed to dock to large screen displays and other peripherals. You can use convertible devices that can be both immersive tablets and flexible laptops.

Official Microsoft post explaining it will be up to the end user to choose metro or not and that they didnt give that option in the devolper build of it.
Found here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-8-metro-interface-gui-ui,13334.html

Judging from the builds I have seen of Windows 8 it will bomb worse than Vista on the desktop. However it is still early days and Microsoft I am sure will make many more changes. It has some good points such as a lower hardware requirement and faster operation so that it can run on a underpowered tablet. But at the moment I would give it a score of one out of five.

Agree, I like that lower HW requirement most, so far.

Reverberation

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I must admit that after using Windows 8 x64 DP version for a while, I like it. Metro UI takes some getting use to, but it seems to be a viable option. Of course, you do get the feeling that Metro is more intended and suited for touch capable devices like tablets, all-in-one PC's etc.. But very interesting indeed!

Reverberation

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Lower HW spesifications are good indeed. And I would never compare it to Vista, in any sense. First of all, more stable the Vista beta versions and still at DP. More complex and informative Task Manager etc.. Of course, I admit that I don't what could be worse than in Vista..?

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Love it or not, when support for Windows 7 is gone, Windows 8 is what you'll have. So you might as well just bite the bullet, bend over, spread your cheeks as wide as you can and accept whatever Micro$haft have to give to you.

Solution

It has never been worth "upgrading" to a new version of windows on the same hardware. Win95 was actually 40% slower than W4WGs on identical hardware and while MS never quite duplicated that feat, every subsequent OS release has been slower than its predecessor. Granted new features is what gives the reason for a new OS but those persons responsible for productivity have learned that OS migration is best done w/ new hardware. Changing an OS is always going to be a cost that has no return on investment.

jonitu

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I'm not sure I entirely agree with your statement. The idea of an OS being slower than it's predecessor is certainly true of older windows versions. However, this changed with windows 7. It is faster than Microsft's previous iteration, windows Vista, in almost every area. It also runs far better than Vista on low-end hardware, such as netbooks, with most now adopting 7 in preference to the old standard, xp. Hopefully this is a new trend that will be upheld when windows 8 finally rolls out of the door.

jale1966

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Well I have read a lot of forums on Windows 8 and what I have seen many people hate, now with that said I remember forums on XP before it came out and also people hated it too. Not saying Windows will be good or bad, I agree with someone I am not going to judge until it comes out and when it gets closer to being release we all know sometimes Microsoft will change it at the last moment. I do like Windows 7 and tend to stay with it for now, thanks for all the comments on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.