Windows 8, BIOS imbedded key & reinstalling OS

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hi everyone,

Following on from a thread about an ASUS charger: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2958247/asus-laptops-generic-power-supply.html

I've now realized that an ASUS laptop I've been given originally came pre-loaded with Windows 8 (ASUS S56C - as per the sticker underneath, although no Key). At some point a prior owner has installed an Acer OEM Windows 7 (for some unknown reason) - and, as expected, it did not activate.

The Specs:
i5-3517U
6GB DDR3 1600MHz SO-DIMM
GeForce GT 635M (2GB DDR3)
500GB WD Blue
24GB SSD Cache imbedded
Would've been pre-loaded w/W8, now has an OEM Acer Windows 7 HP - not activated.

The motherboard/CPU/GPU are original.......the HDD I'm not convinced about. It has a 500GB WD Blue, and a 24GB iSSD module on the board. The S56C came with various HDD capacities, but I've been unable to confirm these were (or were not) WD Blue.

Now, I'm trying to refurbish this laptop as cheaply as possible, I'm trying to establish whether I can reinstall Windows 8 and have the laptop automatically activate/validate.

The laptop is still worthwhile, so I'll buy a new OS if I have to, but if I understand the Windows 8 procedure (as I believe it's the same as W10 - which I understand pretty well), a clean install should automatically validate, just want to clarify if my understanding is correct.

I believe Windows 8 licence keys are imbedded in the BIOS somewhere - not necessarily somewhere accessible. But, provided I reinstall the correct OS version, is it reasonable to assume it would/should reactivate?

I've just though of something else - I'm assuming activation would be limited to the last W8 version activated on the laptop?
It would've come with W8, and if it wasn't updated to 8.1, I'd need to find installation media for W8, correct?......but if it had been upgraded to 8.1, then it should need 8.1 to activate?

Solution
Yes if win 8 was installed before the key is in the bios chip and if you install the Correct Version of Win 8 it should activate no issues. BTW win 10 is also like this as well..

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thanks Johnnyb105, I suspected as much - Sorry, I just updated the post while you were replying ......

I'm assuming activation would be limited to the last W8 version activated on the laptop?
It would've come with W8, and if it wasn't updated to 8.1, I'd need to find installation media for W8, correct?......but if it had been upgraded to 8.1, then it should need 8.1 to activate?

I know Windows 10 operates this way, but I've never actually used Windows 8 (or 8.1), just heard about it. I stuck it out with W7 and jumped straight to 10, so wasn't sure if the 8 process was improved upon for 10, or if it was essentially the same.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thats johnnyb105, I downloaded the W8.1 ISO from MS and attempted an install....it activated no problem.

I'm assuming the prior owner must have updated to 8.1 for it to work, but I couldn't find ISO media for W8 so thought I'd give it a try.

First experience with Windows 8's activation procedure, glad to see it's essentially the same as W10's.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sorry, I didn't explain properly...

I couldn't find an 8 (non .1) ISO, so I tried the 8.1 and it activated (I assume the prior owner had already upgraded)

From there, I upgraded to Windows 10 and will perform a clean install this evening (I was dealing with 3 other laptops for other people last night).

I now seem to have a slight issue with the touchpad (it's a weird one on this ASUS) where the right 'button' (although it doesn't depress like a standard 'button') doesn't seem to register a right-click. Not a biggie, and was present on W8 as well as W10. Couldn't be smooth sailing, but much better than I anticiapted.