Windows 8 Black Screen on Startup

nanderson606

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Before reading this I would just like to note that PC specs are not required as this is a common Windows problem. I have not been able to find a solution on a site that had good ratings. Would also like to note that I've been too lazy to update to windows 8.1. So in this thread I am talking about windows 8.0 I guess you could call it.

So recently I've been experiencing some frustrating problems with Windows 8. I went to open Itunes to listen to some music when it all went downhill. Every application I had open started not responding. (I was running Minecraft, Itunes and the Windows 8 desktop) Then windows gave the option to end process. So I did it. Turns out it was talking about the file explorer but I couldn't tell, nothing was responding. So I did a restart on my PC when it said it had to repair things. So I clicked repair. Truly this solved nothing. When I finally managed to get back on and logged in, I had something in my mind that was telling me that a "Computer Refresh" was required due to all the lag I was experiencing. Now we're in the present.

When I startup my Pc, It shows me the PC brand name, which all Pc's do, to proceed to the blue Windows logo, which is also standard. After that, the screen goes completely black as if it were off but the power is still on. It will get a bit brighter from time to time but it solves nothing. I've tried putting my pc to sleep and then waking it up but there was no avail. So I'm just wondering if anyone has the solution to this issue. Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
If it's a boot issue, you could try to clear the cmos in the bios or just remove the battery and put it in again. that should reset settings to default so it might fix it in case something was messed up. If not, you could always do a fresh install of windows as long as you didn't have any important data on that hard drive.

nanderson606

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Well, I've tried removing the battery to no avail. But I found another detail out a few minutes ago. After the blue windows thing, while the screen is black, if I have a usb mouse plugged in I can see the cursor, This is prior to the login screen so I cannot do a safe boot or anything. I have done a little research and have found out that this is a completely different issue. I still do not have a solution though.

But! If it is what you suggested, we now have an issue because I don't know what CMOS or BIOS are. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion hope it helps some people reading this! Have a nice night!

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Bios are the most basic settings you can change, before windows boots (circle thing with the logo) there should be a sign for a company such as Asus, Evga, gigabyte, etc, with a line that says something like press Del or F12 to change settings. Also, is there any critical info you need that prevents you from just doing another install of windows?