Windows 8 black screen with pointer after log in

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo4869

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
A black screen has appear with cursor only after I install a skin for my windows 8 laptop. The screen started to blank after I patch the windows logo in 7tsp Alienware breed icon pack. I didn't realize that the skin is for windows 7. I know it's a bit stupid and I don't know why I'm really stupid at that day. I cannot do anything because the screen just turn black and a cursor appear after the login. Please help me how to reset it or what's the solution for this problem.

Specs for my laptop (what I remember):

Toshiba Satellite® L850
-Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5 GHz
-Intel HM76 (Panther Point)

-8192 MB, 2x 4096 MB PC3-12800 SO-DIMM DDR3-RAM (1600 MHz), 2 Slots, max. 16 GB

-AMD Radeon HD 7670M - 2048 MB, Core: 600 MHz, Memory: 900 MHz, DDR3, 8.932.5.3000

Hitachi Travelstar 5K750 HTS547550A9E384, 500 GB 5400 rpm

-Microsoft Windows 8 64 Bit

I hope you guys can really help me. I feel regret for download that thing. you can contact me at schinichi_kurudo@yahoo.com
later~ :)

leion

Honorable
May 15, 2013
i am using windows 8 from a month and i had issue with black screen
well i dnt know how first time i slove this ,
but wen the same problem came again i came here to know ,
but u can hold ctr+alt+del to open task man , then in file>run type c:\ or cmd , then sfc/scannow it will b sloved

G

You can access this features by using old win95 and win98 trick: Hold shift and than click restart from login screen and you will have same options more easy than hitting like lunatic F8 at the boot :) So msconfig is not the only way to do it...

tikamakasamy

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
( Issue - Laptop hangs when started even before login screen at "Please wait"
Specs - Win 8 64 bit OS)
Looks I was lucky. While booting the laptop I clicked on shift key and was tapping on F8 constantly. In a minute it prompted click any key to stop disk checking. By clicking some key now it prompted me the page where I can load Ubuntu or Windows ( I had 2 OS on my device ) I selected Windows and and it came up good.

Thanks

Raul Ortiz

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

So here's how it went for me. I installed Avast Internet Security Premier and it asked me to reboot, so I did. Then I started to have the same issue. Sometimes it wouldn't even let me write my password and the log in screen would flash rapidly and didn't allow me to do anything. Black screen if the computer allowed me to insert my password and get in at all, which was rarely.

So I did what you said. I logged into safe mode. Now even in safe mode the screen is black but the loggin problems are gone. Still the only thing you can so is us the command prompt. I typed: sfc /scannow and waited till it was 100%. Yes, it had worked. The prompt said it had found corrupt files and done a CBS.Log file, then I rebooted.

I got in! I was about to reply when... dammit! The computer logged out by itself and the login screen started flashing again! So I was pissed! And set to try it again. But in the short time I was in my desktop saving the only draft of my book to a pen-drive (I thought I had lost it!), well I noticed a popup notice saying that Avast was trying to connect to the network. For some reason that caused my computer to do the above mentioned.

So when rebooted and tried it again and hit shift+f8 it instead went to repair, it scanned for problems and then said it couldn't fix them so it gave me the option to restore to an earlier point. It didn't allow me to choose which point though; I just hit the button and the window 8 logo appeared. It looked like nothing was happening but then a few minutes later it rebooted. I logged in and everything is good now. It went to the point before I installed Avast.

I recommend you guys to do both procedures.
Thank you all, you saved my life! I can’t believe that I almost lost all my work. That happens to me for being lazy and not backing-up.

kawaddwa

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Bigger2pro

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

I have the exact same problem as kudo, except I am using a windows 8 gateway desktop, the third one doesn't work, it comes up as the syntax is to be used like this: and than it says what you said! Should I just get my disk, and reset my computer. I don't care if I lose everything, I just want it to be fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.