Windows 8 Boot Screen Shut Down

Layzee

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Love these forums, maybe you guys can help me.

My build:
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
i7 3930k (OC to 4.5Ghz) cooled by Corsair H100 with 4x NB 120mm
4x 8GB GSkill @ 2400Mhz
2x GTX 780 in SLI powering 3x U2713HM @ 7680x1440
LSI 9750 RAID controller with 4x 2TB WD Black in RAID 5
2x 256GB Samsung 840 PRO SSDs
(2x 3TB Seagate Baracuda RAID 1 which just died today, BOTH OF THEM)
Thermaltake 1200W
CM HAF-X case

So ever since I bought the GTX 780 I've been having a load of trouble... everything's gone haywire. I replaced all the fans in the HAF-X today with silent Bitfenixes and NBs... I'm extremely frustrated with the way everything's performing. My OC settings are good, they've been like this for a while and I've never had a problem, ran Prime95 for a few hours without issues.

I was playing Counter Strike:GO for a few hours and suddenly my computer froze and shut down. After this, I started it up (being used to this sort of crashing ever since I got the 780s, ran 1 single 580 before without any issues), it POSTs, goes to the Windows logo (running Windows 8.1) and then the screens turn black and the computer shuts off. I went into BIOS to check out the temperatures, CPU seems on the high side at 79 celsius, but that shouldn't be a big deal, everything else is around 40 degrees.

In any case, it seems Windows isn't recognizing the fact that it's not booting up, after a few failed attempts to boot, the loading screen finally said "Please wait" and I did and it shut off again...

Any suggestions are extremely welcome, this is very frustrating :(

Dhampire01

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Try reinstalling windows or boot up from the windows installation cd or usb and press shift+F10 when command prompt opens type: bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

this will reinstall the windows bootloader and will let you open the PC smoothly.

Layzee

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

why would a bad MBR shut down the computer? usually it gives you an error and tells you that MBR is bad - I will follow your suggestion though. Thanks

EDIT: Booted this morning just fine so it's not the MBR... I don't understand... maybe the CPU is getting too hot? But 80C shouldn't cause a problem to boot right???

Layzee

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

My issue has changed slightly, I fried my motherboard by losing power while updating the BIOS... So that's it, I believe I have to get a replacement.

Dhampire01

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Bad luck....Although you dont need to buy a new motherboard.Many ASUS motherboards (like this one too) have a feature called usb flashback bios.You can flashback your bios.Even from standby.So,even if bios is erased from black out you can still update them.http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Layzee

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

You would think so but apparently both bioses are corrupted now and half the motherboard's functions are rendered useless which leads me to believe that there's an actual rom on the motherboard which gets updated as well... Pretty bad design if you ask me.

Dhampire01

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Try that it is likely to work.