Windows 8 can't create a partition while installing on an empty hard drive.

Loganrmcclellan

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
I am trying to install Windows 8 from USB on to an empty 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HD. Whenever I attempt to install, I get the following error message stating "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."

I have tried numerous solutions posted online, but with no success.

I tried this:

Start DISKPART.

Type LIST DISK and identify your HD disk number (from 0 to n disks).

Type SELECT DISK <n> where <n> is your HD disk number.

Type CLEAN

Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

Type ACTIVE

Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK

Type ASSIGN

No dice. Error message.

I tried deactivating every single unused usb port, and sata connection on my computer and checking for stray SD cards, then tried installing W8 again. Error message.

I tried moving the boot orders around every which way. No luck. Error message.

However the sad thing is that diskpart always says that a partition has been successfully created, and when I'm selecting the drive I want to install W8 to, it's showing the Seagate drive as already having a partition. What on earth is going on here?

Edit: hard drive, not SSD. Sorry.

Windows 8 can't create a partition while installing on an empty hard drive.
I am trying to install Windows 8 from USB on to an empty 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HD. Whenever I attempt to install, I get the following error message stating "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."

I have tried numerous solutions posted online, but with no success.

I tried this:

Start DISKPART.

Type LIST DISK and identify your SSD disk number (from 0 to n disks).

Type SELECT DISK <n> where <n> is your SSD disk number.

Type CLEAN

Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY dont do this..use the tool to do a full wipe of the drive and leave it blank.

Type ACTIVE

Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK dont do this windows 8 will do this for you.

Type ASSIGN

No dice. Error message.

I tried deactivating every single unused usb port, and sata connection on my computer and checking for stray SD cards, then tried installing W8 again. Error message.

I tried moving the boot orders around every which way. No luck. Error message.

However the sad thing is that diskpart always says that a partition has been successfully created, and when I'm selecting the drive I want to install W8 to, it's showing the Seagate drive as already having a partition. What on earth is going on here?

check in the bios that sata ports set to achi mode not ide. the hard drive on the intel sata port. some mb have 3 party sata ports. if there a ssd and a hard drive if you want the os on the hard drive unplug the ssd. with two drives windows can screw up and put the partion on the wrong drive. use diskpart list all drives look for all partion and remove them.
windows will make two a system restore and a data one.

Windows 8 best installed to Unallocated Space where it can create it's own partitions. This can be achieved during the install at the 'Where do you want to install Windows' screen, using 'Drive Options (Advanced)' to delete all partitions. Install to Unallocated Space to ensure the System Reserved partition is created on the Installation Drive.

grnfrogday

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I had the same problem and I had to make a DVD of Windows 8 and it worked fine! I think it is because it is trying to dump to your USB. If it dumps to the DVD that is write protected it goes back to the hard drive and it works. I read this first and checked my achi and they were set correctly so I was still at a loss. My next step was the DVD.

iocti

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
If you've SSDs or any other HDD attached, just disabling them via BIOS except the one you wish to install win8 upon. Try the setup again and I think it would work flawlessly. I think windows 8 expects to install on the VERY first drive so as to create its partition the way it's been programmed to.

It worked for me, so though have sharing it with you. Best!

hyderalic92

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
while you are instaling an operating system
in the volume selection window
press: shift+f10
type:
discpart
list disk
select disk 0
list volume
select volume 1(if there is c drive)
clean
create partion primary size=100
select volume 1
active
create partion primary size=102400 (for 100 GB)
select volume 2
active
list volume
exit
exit

now you can see the partitions are created on your hard disc and you can continue installation of windows.

Danuvoski

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
In my case,I had an HDD and a clean SSD,it wouldn't create a partition,so I have removed the HDD connections(power and SATA cable),and it worked just fine,regardless of the usb type(2.0 or 3.0 ).
I hope that will help everybody.
Thnks.

bin_haze

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

i tried this and it said i dont have a volume 2 so i skipped that step and tried to install windows and says my partition is to small any help?

doodlerGenome

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
I tried it all. And then I opened the "Where do you want to install..." and before anything unplugged my USB, successfully created partitions, closed to the initial "Install now" screen and restarted the installation. It worked!

Muneeb aslam

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

you are a star mate. your solution worked after I tried all the diskpart thing

Whisper_songs

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I was having this issue on my Sony VAIO that I put a new, blank HDD in. The VAIO Rescue software that was with my recovery discs gave me the opinions to refresh (OS only) or reset (Everything in the drive) but would tell me I had no partitions.
In a different area I also had the option to back up files to an external hard drive or DVDs which, why would I try when I know my HDD is blank? But finally I clicked to backup the files and it ask external drive or DVD, I hit cancel and it asked if I wanted to continue with recovery and erase all my data. I crossed my fingers and clicked 'yes' and it started the 'recovery' (or installation in my case) process.
I understand this may be a VAIO Rescue specific quirk but I figure it's worth mentioning.
Hope it saves someone more time than it took me.
Good luck guys, Matt

Nicolae_2

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
I had the same problem and tried everything I could find on the internet. The ONLY thing that worked was using an 2.0 USB stick instead of an 3.0. Thank you very much for the resolve.

mfrussel

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
I had the same problem while trying to install Windows 8.1 on my Mac Pro using bootcamp. I had all my other external hard drives and a couple USB drives plugged into my Mac. After reading a post here where it said to unplug all other storage devices except for the one I'm using for this installation, I did just that and everything worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!!!:bounce:

Vandomo

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Start DISKPART.

Type LIST DISK and identify your HD disk number (from 0 to n disks).

Type SELECT DISK <n> where <n> is your HD disk number.

Type CLEAN

Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK

Type ASSIGN