Windows 8 can't read the disc in drive D:\

Fadi haber

Reputable
May 10, 2014
I put a cd in my laptop. I tried to open it to format it and start putting files on it. windows 8 said : Windows 8 can't read the disc in drive D:\, and windows said also to format the disc if it's not formatted. I tried to format it by pressing manage ( drive tools ) but the format option was not ready to press so i can't press it ( format option has bad brightness, and the eject option was having the normal brightness to press it. Can someone help me please to solve the format option for cds and dvds ?

Solution
Normally when you place a blank disk in the Optical Drive you get this screen

2lFic6Q.png

If not, then either your OS is corrupt or the Optical Drive has a problem. Sometimes a speck of dust can prevent the disk being read, clean out the tray with compressed air, or brush gently with soft brush. (Sometimes just blowing does the trick!)
Otherwise check out your Windows Installation for errors
First try System File Checker
Winkey plus 'X'
Choose Command Prompt (Admin)
Type sfc /scannow then Enter

It finds and fixes errors in Windows, but doesn't always report them. Run it and see if the fault disappears after re-booting your system
If corrupt files are found that can’t be fixed, try

Dism /Online...
Normally when you place a blank disk in the Optical Drive you get this screen

2lFic6Q.png

If not, then either your OS is corrupt or the Optical Drive has a problem. Sometimes a speck of dust can prevent the disk being read, clean out the tray with compressed air, or brush gently with soft brush. (Sometimes just blowing does the trick!)
Otherwise check out your Windows Installation for errors
First try System File Checker
Winkey plus 'X'
Choose Command Prompt (Admin)
Type sfc /scannow then Enter

It finds and fixes errors in Windows, but doesn't always report them. Run it and see if the fault disappears after re-booting your system
If corrupt files are found that can’t be fixed, try

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (Observe spaces before /)

Re-run SFC

To view CBS Log

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Search C drive for sfcdetails.txt or navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and scroll down.

Solution

copwriter

Reputable
Nov 9, 2015
Having tried the solution offered by dodger46 (which didn't work for me), I stumbled onto another way to make the machine recognize the CD. Open File Explorer, right-click on the drive holding the CD, and choose "Format" from the context menu. Yes, I know you shouldn't have to format a CD, but go with me for a moment. The drive whirred a few seconds, a pop-up showed the disk was formatted, and then I could write to it. Your mileage may vary.

TRENDING THREADS