Windows 8 Criticized for its Part in Ailing PC Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

PC growth is down because of the surge in smart phones and tablets. The simple truth is that there is a large group of people who used to buy PCs for internet and email. Those people will never need a PC ever again.

The Microsoft hate is absurd. I LOVE my Lumia 920 and after 1 week, I love the speed and stability of windows 8 on the PC. It took me one week to go from Meh to Love.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
So, according to these clueless "analysts"....Windows8 has had a larger negative impact on PC sales than the simple fact that people don't have a lot of money to waste....and a lot more people are still worried about losing their jobs... So, according to these "analysts", all these people that are unemployed, living on limited budgets or trying to save money incase of they lose their jobs, would all be buying computers if it wasn't for Windows8..... I want to be an analyst.... Get to make fictitious claims with no factual backing....

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Zak Islam once more publishing "analyst opinion" articles to bring down any product that isn't made by Apple. It's getting predictable, Zak.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Dragonmyth[/nom]PC growth is down because of the surge in smart phones and tablets. The simple truth is that there is a large group of people who used to buy PCs for internet and email. Those people will never need a PC ever again. The Microsoft hate is absurd. I LOVE my Lumia 920 and after 1 week, I love the speed and stability of windows 8 on the PC. It took me one week to go from Meh to Love.[/citation]
Exactly.

My parents, for example, use the computer for checking email and surfing the web. At the moment they are using my old gaming PC I built back in 2002 for it. Now they have talked about ditching the computer all together and picking up a couple of iPads. Some people just simply do not need a desktop machine if they have a tablet and/or smartphone.

Me personally... not a fan of Windows 8 so far. But I'm trying to like it... I really am.
Just bothers me having a tablet interface on a machine that is not a tablet. I'm sure there are several other people that feel the same way I feel, but the fact of the matter that performance PC users are a minority. If the trend toward tablets continues... we might be the only traditional desktop users left.

EchoSx

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
As a gamer what is the need for Windows 8? I don't need a tablet interface shoved in my face and I have no want for another store. Can anyone list any pro's?

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
While I am fine able to addapt the new UI changes, but I konw many dont.

the biggest problem isnt the metro UI. It is the App store itself, then another big one is Microsoft stupid decision not to into an Option to change back to startmenu, which cost them million of sales. There are plenty of mod like start8 can easily fix this prob, which prove that the startmenu is there, just Microsoft disable it. The beta win8 does have a registry method to re-enable the startmenu, but the release win8 remove it.

The guy inside who decide to completely remove the ability use startmenu in Microsoft need to get fired. Microsoft should just release service pack or patch to ENABLE this feature for the people who prefer the "legacy" UI.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Tomfreak, the metro UI has every bit of the functionality of the start menu, and you can even customize it a lot more. After going through the Win 8 beta, I never once missed the start menu.

G

Win 8 was never going to sell as well as Win 7. Windows 7 was received to rave reviews and people flocked to it from nightmare Vista or ageing XP. Windows 7 is still a quality OS so people have no need to upgrade.

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Business are always going to be 3 or more years behind an os. I work for a large company that is moving to windows 7. There is years of testing involved with every application that our company uses. Usually the turning point is the end of support for an os pushing you the next os. On a personal level I like windows eight. I just finished installing it on an old amd 3800 dual 2.0 gig machine with 4 gigs of ram. It breathed fresh life in what was a slow machine under windows 7 to a pretty decent machine. It was only 39.99 to upgrade from any prev os which made the swith appealing. I had windows 7 home prem before and now have all the bells and whistles of windows 7 professional. If you are like me and like to stay current then learning new things is something that you enjoy vs hate. What is so hard about clicking on metro and putting all of your apps on this screen or go to desktop mode and do the same there. I never liked using the start menu myself. I still liked having all my stuff on the desktop since window 3.11 came out. Why dig thru subdirectys of menus to launch something when you can put a games folder on the desktop, double click on it and pick what you want to play. Same with a tools folder, apps, folder, you name it. So many people have smart phones and are smart enough to use those. Are we really saying that we are too stupid to click a button and launch an app? Everything that was in 7 is still in 8. Wow, it so hard to click search, then click control panel vs click "start", then click control panel. Once your in the control panel everything is the same. I feel like for the first time that I got something new for once and I enjoy learning something new.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
d[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]The guy inside who decide to completely remove the ability use startmenu in Microsoft need to get fired. Microsoft should just release service pack or patch to ENABLE this feature for the people who prefer the "legacy" UI.[/citation]

Wrong, they should've completely done away with a legacy mode all together and made it so that all legacy apps run in a taskbar-less sandbox with having applications tabbed through like Metro apps in the switcher. They should've fully integrated all legacy features that kick back to the legacy desktop now (control panel, device manager, etc) as full-blown Metro features.... but no. Real progress would be steering everyone away from legacy and moving forward.

Windows 8 is broken, but not because of the way most people think it is. That's not going to stop me from using it, though, it's a pretty good OS.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Ok, tablet maket has groing[citation][nom]Dragonmyth[/nom]PC growth is down because of the surge in smart phones and tablets. The simple truth is that there is a large group of people who used to buy PCs for internet and email. Those people will never need a PC ever again. The Microsoft hate is absurd. I LOVE my Lumia 920 and after 1 week, I love the speed and stability of windows 8 on the PC. It took me one week to go from Meh to Love.[/citation]
Ok, but windows 8 is much cheeper, and in my country Microsoft offers 12 mounts free internet access + HSDPA modem for every new laptop that come preinstalled with windows 8. Windows 8 is almost free but people don't buyit.

flagrant99

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
the metro start menu is NOT as functional as the old start menu. In the old start menu I can use these things called folders to categorize and group shortcuts into multiple subfolders. metro only allows grouping into a single level (no sublevels) and also doesn't seem to think folders are useful. Instead everything has to scroll to the right as if I was on xbox.

G

Windows 8 will not sell to anyone who desires an open ecosystem for their PCs! The best thing M$ can do to even begin to repair the damage that that Kiddy Tiles, App Store/ADware UI has done, is to completely return to the Windows 7 code base, and then integrate the very small improvments that A VERY SMALL PORTION of the Windows 8 network and utilities non-OS code! All of the current industry practices of requireing Third party PC OEMs to only sell the newest version of any OS on new hardware should be banned ! Any BIOS/Hardware should be open to all OSs on third party OEM PCs under the same penalty as anticompetitive viloations! VMs (Under the control of a Type 1 Hyporvisor) should be phased in, as the primary software/hardware driver solution, as VMs will allow any OS or multiple of OSs to be run on a single PC computing platform without the PC hardware being Rooted/Chained to any OS provider on any third party PC sold! The entire third party OEM PC industry should be made OS neutral, with no special deals given to some while others are kept out, especially for selling PC hardware with competiting OS software!

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i don't buy a pc desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone because of the OS. I buy the hardware because i need one either to replace an outdated one or supplement what i have now. Only when i decide to buy a new hardware does the choice of its OS become a factor to consider.

maraque

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Exactly.My parents, for example, use the computer for checking email and surfing the web. At the moment they are using my old gaming PC I built back in 2002 for it. Now they have talked about ditching the computer all together and picking up a couple of iPads. Some people just simply do not need a desktop machine if they have a tablet and/or smartphone.Me personally... not a fan of Windows 8 so far. But I'm trying to like it... I really am.Just bothers me having a tablet interface on a machine that is not a tablet. I'm sure there are several other people that feel the same way I feel, but the fact of the matter that performance PC users are a minority. If the trend toward tablets continues... we might be the only traditional desktop users left.[/citation]
I concur with you. The only thing I like about Win 8 is the speed and resource utilization. And the only reason I bought it was because it was available for the equivalent of $13 at the time I bought it, and of course Classic Shell and Start8. I hardly go out of the desktop into the Modern UI. Got it when it first came out and still trying hard to like the Modern interface, but still no love for it due to a non-touchscreen monitor sitting on my desk.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
To all you people who say you like win8, let me try to explain one reason why the rest of us hate it.

It reminds me of that stupid crap UI Packard Bell put on their computers 25 years ago. I don't remember what they called it. But it was nothing more than a shell on top of standard windows 3.1/3.11 (which was itself nothing more than a shell on top of DOS back then). It looked pretty on the department store floor model. But once you got it home you were disgusted with it in 20 minutes and wiped it off the hard drive.

This stupid metro UI is reminiscent of that stupid old Packard Bell garbage. It serves no purpose whatsoever on a standard minitower computer with full keyboard and mouse and multiple NON TOUCHSCREEN monitors two arms lengths away from your face. It is worthless. Sure, there are ways to get around it and you clowns like to say things like "you aren't smart enough to figure it out". But you are soooo missing the point. We dont' like it. We don't want it. It serves no useful purpose. And there is no way to totally get rid of it. THAT IS EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING AND MICROSOFT IS EXTREMELY INSULTING with their goddam stubbornness. They won't even *ALLOW* us the option of downgrading to win7 anymore ON OUR OWN COMPUTER! WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?

Let me explain something to you jackasses at MS. I DO NOT WORK FOR YOU! YOU WORK FOR ME! That is how capitalism works. You want to sell me a product then you better sell me what I WANT...not what you want. Until you figure that out you can stick your win8 up your *.

I seriously hope Linux takes off and puts MS in the grave after this crap they are pulling. But unfortunately there are way too many sheep willing to eat any crap sandwich anyone hands them.

and one more thing...MS isn't just bullying windows users, it appears they are now bullying linux users and hardware producers. Read this link

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/linus-torvalds-on-windows-8-uefi-and-fedora/11187

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]LevelTheHills[/nom]Windows 8 will not sell to anyone who desires an open ecosystem for their PCs! The best thing M$ can do to even begin to repair the damage that that Kiddy Tiles, App Store/ADware UI has done, is to completely return to the Windows 7 code base, and then integrate the very small improvments that A VERY SMALL PORTION of the Windows 8 network and utilities non-OS code! All of the current industry practices of requireing Third party PC OEMs to only sell the newest version of any OS on new hardware should be banned ! Any BIOS/Hardware should be open to all OSs on third party OEM PCs under the same penalty as anticompetitive viloations! VMs (Under the control of a Type 1 Hyporvisor) should be phased in, as the primary software/hardware driver solution, as VMs will allow any OS or multiple of OSs to be run on a single PC computing platform without the PC hardware being Rooted/Chained to any OS provider on any third party PC sold! The entire third party OEM PC industry should be made OS neutral, with no special deals given to some while others are kept out, especially for selling PC hardware with competiting OS software![/citation]

exactly

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Windows 8 is as open as Windows 7 and to think anything else is a bit silly.

"2) there is a lack of Enterprise interest in Window"

... what a complete and utter load of rubbish. what enterprise would even CONSIDER a new operating system this early let alone before sp1/sp2. That comment alone proves the stupidity of the person making the comment.

G

I agree that W8 is causing a slow down of PC purchases for consumers like you and me (corporate purchases have different reasons). Personally, I don't think consumers are confused, I think that consumers are smart enough to know that without a touch screen they're not too many benefits to spending the money for W8. When I went Fry's Electronics, Best Buy or even Walmart, their's really not a lot of selections for touch capable devices with W8. Also, when I tried to purchase a dell latitude 10 pro tablet, it wasn't shipping until Dec 12. On top of that most of the pro tablets are 64 gigs which really isn't enough storage for what I want to do with it. No wonder why MS has created their own device with the Surface Tablets. Therefore, I believe the OEM's are at fault for a slow consumer demand.

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Sorry for all the hate you feel. I guess I dont understand a lot of it. I do not understand the downgrade thing. They can never get the upgrade thing to work right so downgrading would be even be more difficult. I trust my aconis back up to go back if needed. I guess I am a clown, but I was talking about people that upgraded to the os because they wanted to. I dont know of anyone that upgraded to the os because they had to unless they bought a new computer. I can def understand if you buy one and you wish to have 7, you should be able to get 7. If you upgraded, you should know what you are getting yourself into. I did plenty of reading before I made the choice plus made images of my os prior to pulling the trigger. Most of your average non geeks that get online just read about the next diet pill that will make your weight fall off in 5 minutes are going to just look for the button marked "e" for explorer when they use windows 8 and will give a crap about control and power to make there os look like windows 7 or a prev version. Microsoft works to make money and if the ideas fail, they will pay for it with money. I thought it nuts that windows 8 was coming out so soon after I upgraded all of my equipment to 7. For me , nothing was wrong with 7 so I dont see the big deal with folks keeping seven. Dont buy 8 if you dont like it. To me its just a lot of energy waisted like myself typing this post that someone else will just spit on. Have a good turkey day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.