Windows 8 duplicate processes?

Servatis17

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Hi all, I'm new to this forum this is my first post.

First off I'll use firefox.exe as an example process for my question.

When running firefox, it shows up twice in task manager. Once under the "processes" tab and two appear under the "details" tab. I'm sure that the first one appearing under details is the same one that shows up under process, but the second one is my concern.

But, above that is my main concern, that when I close out firefox it goes away under the "processes" tab in taskmanager, yet remains under the "details" tab of taskmanager and it's still taking up memory. I don't know with how many other processes this might occur, but its a concern that it may be happening with many and when I close out a process, it might still have some secondary form of it running in the background consuming unnecessary memory. Also when I try to end any process under the "details" tab it gives me "access denied" error. So I can't close out any processes listed under the details tab, period.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this normal for there to be two processes, and for one to remain after it is closed? I'm new to windows 8, and it's memory management is foreign of other windows OS I've used.
Here are some details about my computer if it helps, I'm on acer touchscreen pre-installed with windows 8.
The processor is an AMD Dual Core Processor A4-1250 (1.0 GHZ)
It has 4GB DDR3 L Memory RAM.

This is my girlfriends laptop, and had I been there when she bought it I would have told her not to. It seems like the hardware in this PC is lacking, even just for primitive web surfing and hell even YouTube lags on this PC with no other processes open. I'm blaming most of the slowness on windows 8 which takes up the most memory of any Windows OS I've ever used. I'm thinking it could possibly go for a RAM upgrade. Can anyone also advise if a RAM upgrade will make anything smoother?

Solution
hi,
i just tried this.
started firefox, there's just ONE firefox in "Process", right clicking on it and clicking on "go to details" shows just ONE firefox in "Details" tab. Moreover, firefox disappears completely ffrom the task manager, from both the tabs, when i close it.
So no, this isn't normal. Scan your computer with the latest version of malwarebytes.

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
hi,
i just tried this.
started firefox, there's just ONE firefox in "Process", right clicking on it and clicking on "go to details" shows just ONE firefox in "Details" tab. Moreover, firefox disappears completely ffrom the task manager, from both the tabs, when i close it.
So no, this isn't normal. Scan your computer with the latest version of malwarebytes.

Solution