Windows 8 embedded Product key install problem

strive2trade

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I recently been a victim of a virus attack online and now my PC can't even proceed to the windows 8 login menu. One of the only solutions i found online is to boot from DVD or USB and do a clean install for which i did. The problem arises when it is asking me for my Product key! My dell laptop has the product embedded into bios/motherboard and cannot be retrieve since i cannot log in into windows. isn't it suppose to recognize my product immediatly without having to enter it??

Please Help!

thanks

tarunkumar2

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Hi ,
the dvd that your using to reinstall windows, is it an OEM (Dell shipped disc) or something that you've purchased separately?.If you try to re-install windows using a dell shipped disc then the installation should not ask for a product key. And one more thing, since its a dell laptop , an os image will be present on the hdd itself, if you are able to get to the advanced recovery options by any chance, choose troubleshoot>Advanced or choose Advanced>"dell backup and recovery" and that should give you an option to choose the factory image which should reinstall the os for you on the computer.

TRENDING THREADS