Windows 8 goes to automatic repair, and then screen goes black, windows media installation does the same thing

Michael_331

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping I can get some help, I'm comfortable around a computer but I am no means a pro... here's the story -

I noticed my computer was starting to slow down, all of a sudden the disk utilization would to go 99%, and the computer would 'hick-up' it's way through various tasks - no amount of closing programs or apps in task manager helped.

So I ran through some diagnostics, started doing a CHDSK Repair type thing, computer got hung up around 11%, and after a few hours the screen just went black.

So far everything I do leads to Windows 'trying' to boot -

1. Just turn the ASUS j750 Gamer Republic Laptop on - boot from hard drive - goes to automatic repair and then black screen.

2. Boot from Windows 8 media installation media - Windows logo appears and it 'thinks' for a bit, and then the screen goes black.

I am able to access BIOS and it appears that my laptop can still detect my hard drive, but no matter what I do I can't get Windows to boot to any sort of installation or recovery mode.

To make matters worse, my DVD drive doesn't open for some reason, so even if I had the Windows 8 Installation CD I couldn't use it. I can use my desktop to move files to a USB drive, but that's about it.

Please help!!!!!!

So I buckled and bought Easy Recovery - thinking hey it promises to fix everything so easy. Well it at least let's me boot into my hardrive using their 'os' type thing. I can see all of my files still exist, but when I attempt a System Restore or Recovery it tells me I don't have a valid Windows Installation.

So, I can't use my DVD drive for some reason (it doesn't open even with a paperclip poke), and the recovery tool doesn't recognize my Windows Installation.

Solution
Just in case anyone is curious - hard drive was basically toast, no amount of recovery tools, or Windows 8 recovery image disks, pop in a new hard drive and plug in Windows 8 Recovery Image tool and it's working again.

Michael_331

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
Just in case anyone is curious - hard drive was basically toast, no amount of recovery tools, or Windows 8 recovery image disks, pop in a new hard drive and plug in Windows 8 Recovery Image tool and it's working again.

Solution