Windows 8 Hard Drive Issue

KaziPlayz

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Ok so I recently got a new motherboard and used the same hard drive that i used before. I installed windows on my new ssd but i forgot to wipe my old hard drive that i used for my old motherboard and windows. So now im stuck with 500gb of space to use on my hard drive and the rest taken up by old game files from steam on my old windows 8. Is there a way i can delete those old files and keep my new ones without messing anything up?

Solution
Hey there, KaziPlayz!

@ak47jar3d is right, you should be able to re-format the HDD from Disk Management without it having any affect on your SSD. You just need to go there and delete the partition(s)/volume(s) until all the space on the drive becomes unallocated. Afterwards, you should be able to create a New Simple Volume and have the full capacity of the HDD at your disposal again.
However, make sure you have any important data from there (old & new) backed up somewhere else! (including the new files you have stored there).
Here's a tutorial about the partitioning & formatting of hard drives that might shed some light on the step-by-step: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=wraKnC

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, KaziPlayz!

@ak47jar3d is right, you should be able to re-format the HDD from Disk Management without it having any affect on your SSD. You just need to go there and delete the partition(s)/volume(s) until all the space on the drive becomes unallocated. Afterwards, you should be able to create a New Simple Volume and have the full capacity of the HDD at your disposal again.
However, make sure you have any important data from there (old & new) backed up somewhere else! (including the new files you have stored there).
Here's a tutorial about the partitioning & formatting of hard drives that might shed some light on the step-by-step: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=wraKnC

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution