Windows 8 Has an 'Immersive' UI Browsing Mode

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dorkusm

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
They have lost their damn mind. If they're gonna do anything, take what they have, make it leaner, faster and meaner instead of all this stupid bling. That's where they got into trouble with Vista. Idiots. I like the modular idea they've got going, but adding all this crap that no one needs is just silly.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]lolguy[/nom]I can't believe I read that.[/citation]
Oh and I supposed you have a 150GB monthly cap, or better yet, uncapped.

I don't give a damn about whether the quality of tiny pics showing off Windows 8 are 100% perfect. What would you prefer?

800 KB PNG pic at 100% quality
75 KB JPG pic at 98% quality

It all adds up. Nobody seems to care anymore about optimizing websites for fast/slim browsing. Never mind the fact that the greater part of the world still has to live with third class internet access.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
It reminds me of the MSN browser from back in the day.... in a bad way.

I'm not sure how I feel about Windows 8 so far. The login screen alright as far as the text goes, but the background is funky to the point that I'd be uncomfortable to use it. I would have to change that IMMEDIATELY. Now, I don't really use IE, but this seems to be a step backwards with the solid colors. Transparencies are where modern OSs are heading, and it makes it feel more polished. This looks like WindowsBlinds for XP.

Any why the hell would we want a Mobile system experience in our full-size PCs?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]Linux has all that and more![/citation]

At the cost of Hardware compatibility and games!

(Yes, I've used Linux. It's not for everybody, even if you learn the ins and outs.)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
err don't like.

i would like the option of changing the interface to my liking instead of downloading third party software though, that is always welcome

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]Linux..ahh yes, the O/S where you'd be entering command lines just to call someone! yea, thats what we all need![/citation]
Someone has never seen a Linux before.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]Linux..ahh yes, the O/S where you'd be entering command lines just to call someone! yea, thats what we all need![/citation]
Not now. 10 years ago, maybe. But definitely not now. You don't need to use the shell at all if you choose the right distro.

[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]At the cost of Hardware compatibility and games!(Yes, I've used Linux. It's not for everybody, even if you learn the ins and outs.)[/citation]
True, but it is compatible with most hardware Windoze works with, and some it doesn't too.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
That's the same Active Desktop which is like 14 years old but with real features, rather than a dummy template. It allowed web content (with scripting support and even plugins) to be placed instead of your background image. It first came with IE4.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Ok, but, isn't that what "Ease of Access" for?And why would anyone need that on a desktop, except for people that are already using "Ease of Access"??????[/citation]
Maybe its optional. Windows 8 is intended to work on more than PCs. So you could have Windows 8 on laptops, desktops, netbooks, and tablets of all shapes and sizes, with different interface options. For a touchscreen device, some of these interfaces make a lot of sense.

There's also talk of an ARM version of Win8, remember? If they make it scalable, it'll run on just about any tablet/netbook device by the time it is released.

G

my 2 cents: I think the interface windows mobile has is ugly. I guess microsoft will take the ugly interface to windows 8.

phil kizer

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Instead of wasting ours and their time and money, they should round up all these new features and put them in the next Service Pack for Windows 7.

Technology hasn't jumped enough yet for a whole new OS when Windows 7 hasn't even hit the same stride as XP did about 3-5 years after its release if Microsoft is saying that Windows 7 is the "XP Replacement".

A few things that need to happen before we will need a new OS are:
1. 3D without glasses
2. Higher video refresh rates
3. Higher Anti-aliasing
4. Monitors with built in motion/eye detection
5. SSDs become standard(of course after they become cheaper)
6. USB 3.0(4.0, 5.0 or whatever) becomes standard
7. PCI Express 3.0 comes out and becomes standard

Just my humble opinion :)

hannibal

Distinguished

Ah, but you forget that MS wants customers money... so they will release new product! It is just busines...
Hmm.. reality check on: MS need OS that is more suitable to cloud computing and smaller devises... So it is much easier to make smaller (more modular?) new os than upgrade win 7 to do the same... They will get two flies at the same troke. Smaller os for portable devices and new os that customer "have" to buy again... : reality check off

So we are back in the money... Not too many will upgrade to win8, but some will and if it run better in hand held devices, it should run better allso in desktop enviroment allso. Smaller memory print etc... Well we will see soon enough, if this is just mobile os or if it will be allso usefull in desktop environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.