Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
I recently built a computer.

ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME IV Motherboard
128 GB SSD Samsung
I7 Processor

Nvidia 780 3GB x2

16 gb RAM

After finishing the build I went to install Windows.

The first time I recieved an install error after about 75% on the initial install. I cancelled it and re-installed it. I had a few blue screen "errors" "restarting now your computer has ran into a problem"... but didn't think to much of it. On the first install I could get to the desktop, so I initiated windows update and it just idled on 0% and 0 MB. After a while it restarted and got stuck in a "we've ran into a problem with your pc restarting" loop.

I realized I had to reinstall Windows, but it wasn't working this next time. Since I checked sites about BIOS Settings and SATA connections, but I'm totally befuddled.

Somehow last night I managed to delete/reformat the drive and install it again. I recieved one error message on the initial boot and since then it's been fine. So I went to install the ASUS drivers... fine. Then I went to windows update and it stalled on 0% again. I tried individually downloading them and a few worked, but it didn't seem like it was downloading all of the file. I'm stuck on a few updates that just X out and ask for "try again" error code 80246002. I'm guessing my install might be corrupted.

The error messages are always different.

I did buy a crappy optical drive from BEST BUY, and I'm wondering if that is the problem from the original install.

Someone mentioned RAM not being correct, I haven't looked into this yet but I will soon.

Do you think my disc could be corrupted?

Thanks in advance, I know it's a lot of info

TL;DR: Installed windows barely, updates won't work, lots of errors and blue screens.

Solution
^ Those are great suggestions form Martell.

Windows update error message 80246002 is - This problem may occur if Windows Update or Microsoft Update determines there is a file hash mismatch when you try to search for available updates from the Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site.

To me that means that there is data corruption at some point - the most logical and likely place on a new system is the RAM. This can be from RAM that is not configured correctly, or is damaged. If you could get a boot disc of memtest86 and run it you would be able to test for that.

festerovic

Distinguished
try to get the firmware updated on the samsung ssd, preferably on a working PC.
If you are OCing, disable that.
If you are worried about RAM, try downclocking it to the next slowest speed (might help)

I will be 18 pesos that the SSD is the problem.

tweekums

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

I checked the firmware with the magic software and it says it is up to date. Unfortunately! I was hoping that would solve it :p

I also plugged in my 2TB HD and tried an install from their and ran into a windows problem as well.

I had a similar issue with a clients computer, turned out to be a bad stick of RAM. While the computer was much older than yours, it's possible you got a bad module. Try testing using one module at a time. Also, try different slots, the motherboard might have an issue.

Also, until the computer is up and running properly, I would remove the second GPU, disable SLI, add it back in once Windows is setup. (I've known people that had SLI issues until they get the drivers setup in Windows, removing a GPU until Windows is in helped them)

festerovic

Distinguished
^ Those are great suggestions form Martell.

Windows update error message 80246002 is - This problem may occur if Windows Update or Microsoft Update determines there is a file hash mismatch when you try to search for available updates from the Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site.

To me that means that there is data corruption at some point - the most logical and likely place on a new system is the RAM. This can be from RAM that is not configured correctly, or is damaged. If you could get a boot disc of memtest86 and run it you would be able to test for that.

Solution