Windows 8 Install Process Streamlined to 11 Clicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
It makes sense and could actually be really helpful for the average user. However, hardcore users will always need their physical media for the occasionnal format/reinstall. I was once like that, but now I can really see myself upgrading my current install through the web.

J3d1M1nD7r1cKs

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I'm so sick reading about 'boosting' for windows 8. This is ridiculous. When a product is hyped this badly, it's generally garbage or worse for the public.

LONG live windows 7!

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]J3d1M1nD7r1cKs[/nom]I'm so sick reading about 'boosting' for windows 8. This is ridiculous. When a product is hyped this badly, it's generally garbage or worse for the public.LONG live windows 7![/citation]
I have to agree with your sentiment. Microsoft may have some amazing new features coming out, BUT i think they are going to pull a Vista again. I don't think the market is ready for a complete UI overhaul WITHOUT Classic mode to revert too. I just think Microsoft has either gotten too old, or Ballmer doesn't have his touch on reality. Either way, this is going to fail badly if there is no classic mode. I am already planning on staying with 7 for the long haul on non touch devices. The sad parts is I was one of the few people who actually liked Vista and was even happier when 7 came out. I do like alot of the architectural changes under the hood for Windows 8, it is just that damn UI change. it is awful.

LONG live windows 7!

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Web installs are greener than buying the box.[/citation]

Who buys the box, everyone here buys the OEM version.... No Box.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]windows 98=failwindows xp=winwindows vista=failwindows 7=winwindow 8=.....?[/citation]

win98 didn't fail, it was great upgrade from win95 and it was awesome for games for its time.

now Windows Me..... and Vista those were the biggest failures in M$ history.
Still I will probably skip Windows 8.

Naxos

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I have to agree, this much hype over a product is usually not good. I think 8 is another Vista in the making. I for don't care for the tile idea one bit. I like 7 alot, and with a bit of refinement I could see it outlasting XP. I really don't get what the devs at MS are thinking sometimes.... Maybe if we make our OS look like windows phone we can sell more phones, and in the mean time we will still make money off 7....is my guess and the only logic I can see behind this crap UI.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]win98 didn't fail, it was great upgrade from win95 and it was awesome for games for its time.now Windows Me..... and Vista those were the biggest failures in M$ history.Still I will probably skip Windows 8.[/citation]
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]windows 98=failwindows xp=winwindows vista=failwindows 7=winwindow 8=.....?[/citation]
Sorry, Win Vista is just as good as any other Windoze version for me. No failure at all here.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Folks, it is really simple. 90,000 Employees... 90,000 paychecks. Plus stockholders who want money, plus Executive who want M-O-N-E-Y... you got to have something to SELL.
So you hype away on a new MUST HAVE OS and you cash in.
How much OS do you need ?
I run a small IT company, and I use Windows 2000 !
Have one XT box around to test site projects on higher than IE6 (all other browsers can be updated to current status under W2K).

Can I play 'Crisis' on my Box ? :)
Prob. not. Don't even know exactly what it is; don't care.
Like most professional users, we stay WELL behind new technologies until they sort themselves out. And why would I upgrade a couple of hundred PCs if they work just fine the way things are.

G

Windows Me - was the huge in performance, stable, not for game, but for office and CAD system awesome.

Gucio

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
win1=gui on dos... wooooow GUUUUI :), win2.1=meeeehhhh still dos..., win3.11=yaaaay 16 bits, win95=FAIL, win4=winnt... still FAIL nothing runs on this..., win98=meeeh somehow better, win2k=no games :( so it's servers basically...., winME=biggest FAIL EVER, winXP=finally something working :) happiest men ever :p, winVista=FAAAAAAIIIILLLL WTF is this shit..., win7=hmmm where the heck is my classic start?? meh geets over it..., win8=hmmmm WHERE THE F*CK is my Desktop!?

Vestin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]windows 98=fail
windows xp=win
windows vista=fail
windows 7=win
window 8=.....?[/citation]
David Hume called, he wants his causality back.

Destroysall

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]pedro_mann[/nom]I have to agree with your sentiment. Microsoft may have some amazing new features coming out, BUT i think they are going to pull a Vista again. I don't think the market is ready for a complete UI overhaul WITHOUT Classic mode to revert too. I just think Microsoft has either gotten too old, or Ballmer doesn't have his touch on reality. Either way, this is going to fail badly if there is no classic mode. I am already planning on staying with 7 for the long haul on non touch devices. The sad parts is I was one of the few people who actually liked Vista and was even happier when 7 came out. I do like alot of the architectural changes under the hood for Windows 8, it is just that damn UI change. it is awful.LONG live windows 7![/citation]

Just to let you know if you haven't heard already...You will be able to revert back to old "traditional" Windows theme. The UI is an added feature.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Destroysall[/nom]Just to let you know if you haven't heard already...You will be able to revert back to old "traditional" Windows theme. The UI is an added feature.[/citation]

Yep. It took me about 30 seconds to do in the Win 8 beta. It looks almost identical to Win 7 afterwards.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
You know what would make Windows 8 fantastic to install? If you actually had the option of customizing your own install, like you can with Se7en Lite. Don't want Metro UI? no problem just uncheck it in the custom setup. Don't want Internet Explorer or Media Player? No problem just uncheck it in the custom setup. Man that would be soo nice if Microsoft actually allowed the User to have a custom install to suit there needs.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]pedro_mann[/nom]I have to agree with your sentiment. Microsoft may have some amazing new features coming out, BUT i think they are going to pull a Vista again. I don't think the market is ready for a complete UI overhaul WITHOUT Classic mode to revert too. I just think Microsoft has either gotten too old, or Ballmer doesn't have his touch on reality. Either way, this is going to fail badly if there is no classic mode. I am already planning on staying with 7 for the long haul on non touch devices. The sad parts is I was one of the few people who actually liked Vista and was even happier when 7 came out. I do like alot of the architectural changes under the hood for Windows 8, it is just that damn UI change. it is awful.LONG live windows 7![/citation]

What do you mean without a class mode to revert to? They've long made it clear, that the touch interface can be switched over to a classic Windows view like you'd get in Windows 7, for those not running it on a tablet. They've also done a good job showing a number of enhancements that they had been lagging behind on. Sure this product could ultimately be a flop, but nothing else it simply looks like this will be Vista 3.0(As I've largely seen W7 as Vista 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.