Windows 8 installation question.

Arbegust

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I'm upgrading from Windows 7 and just had a quick question. What I expected is that upon installation all my files and programs would be dumped into a file labeled "window 7". Microsoft's website seems to suggest however that everything will be seamlessly converted. I remain a little dubious. Can anyone please provide some clarification? Also, if everything is dumped into one file, how would I best restore all my programs? Thanks so much!

There are three different ways to install Windows operating systems.

1. Fresh. This installs the OS to a freshly formatted partition, no old data is kept.

2. In-place. This installs the OS to an existing partition, overwriting the old OS entirely, but stores old programs and user data in a separate folder so that they can be recovered at will.

3. Upgrade. This upgrades an existing OS while keeping the system registry, all applications, and all user data intact. The downside of upgrading is that any problems that existed with the original installation will propagate through to the new installation. Upgrading is not recommended.

There's actually an interesting video where a user installs all upgradable Windows operating systems in order just to see how well it would work.

http://rasteri.blogspot.ca/2011/03/chain-of-fools-upgrading-through-every.html

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
If your current install is clean and issue-free there's no reason to not do an upgrade. I've done this on several systems already and the upgrade has been clean every time. In fact, you still get the same added benefit of faster Windows 8 boot times as well as having everything functional other than what the upgrade adviser said wouldn't work (though you can sometimes get around this with Windows 7 Compatibility mode, like I did with Intel SSD Toolbox 3.0.4).

zdbc13

Distinguished
That video is a crack up and brings back fond memories. I've been around through all those versions and remember them quite well. The narrator does a good job of keeping things going. Now, onward and upward we go to 8.

2. In-place. This installs the OS to an existing partition, overwriting the old OS entirely, but stores old programs and user data in a separate folder so that they can be recovered at will.

3. Upgrade. This upgrades an existing OS while keeping the system registry, all applications, and all user data intact. The downside of upgrading is that any problems that existed with the original installation will propagate through to the new installation. Upgrading is not recommended.

Before doing this make sure that you have backed up your data. Better to be safe than sorry.

macbookproi5

Honorable
May 25, 2012

Hi I bought a windows 8 pro upgrade from ebay. Completely sealed. I have a sony vaios laptop vpcf13wfx. It used to run Windows 7. I installed a CE Preview of Windows 8 on my laptop. Now here is my question. Since I bought an upgrade version of win8. Is it possible for me to just do a fresh install? Do I have to reinstall win7 again and run win 8?

I haven't tried it myself but you used to have to only insert an existing Windows CD from a valid upgradable version. However, Microsoft has been making the install CDs available in ISO format for a while now and I'm not sure if they've changed the upgrade procedure.