[SOLVED] windows 8 laptop crashed. hdd toast? Want to use pc windows 10 ssd.

Apr 9, 2020
I have an older Gateway ne56r45u that was running windows 8. It said windows was corrupt so I tried a repair and it froze and no longer boots. I removed the hdd and connected it via usb to my other computer and it doesn't recognize the hdd is connected. I can hear it has power, so I'm assuming the drive is dead.

I have an ssd from a desktop that was running windows 10. Would I be able to install it and use the os on the ssd by loading the laptop drivers? If so, anyone care to walk me through it? I tried and the laptop doesn't boot.

TIA

Solution
Remove all peripheral devices from usb ports etc, try boot. Then remove battery and power cable both, press power button for 30second to drain. Connect only power cable back (no battery at all) then try to boot.

If this dont work check that you didnt short any usb ports in the laptop with flashlight also check vga / hdmi port.

Check that your power supply is giving enough voltage with multimeter, if you dont have multimeter test another power brick and power cable.

Check the sata connector (on the motherboards end) where you plugin your hdd or ssd, you might of shorted the pins.

Did you remove anything else like ram sticks or disassembly more?
Remove all peripheral devices from usb ports etc, try boot. Then remove battery and power cable both, press power button for 30second to drain. Connect only power cable back (no battery at all) then try to boot.

If this dont work check that you didnt short any usb ports in the laptop with flashlight also check vga / hdmi port.

Check that your power supply is giving enough voltage with multimeter, if you dont have multimeter test another power brick and power cable.

Check the sata connector (on the motherboards end) where you plugin your hdd or ssd, you might of shorted the pins.

Did you remove anything else like ram sticks or disassembly more?

Solution