Windows 8 Leaked CD Appeared for Sale on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

jibbs

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
why are your pictures always such low resolution? Why even bother putting in a pic if we can barely see what it is?

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
if a moron buys it, they will be too stupid to know what to do with the disc...

and $1500, that is alot to ask.... a good moron inducing price would be $50 or less

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]$75 for shippiing a CD?!?[/citation]
means it's overseas outside of good ol' usa jurisdiction.
wouldn't surprise me if it was an ex microsoft employee in ireland

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Typical of people who steal from their employer. They're bad at accounting.
Profit earned from stolen good (or cost saving if they keep it) = $1500.00
Minus.
Loss of salary due to lost job = - $50,000

Net Profit = -48,500.00
or net savinging if keeping the item = -48,500.00

It would be cheaper to not steal from the company and buy his/her own copy when it's released. So unless they're stealing something whose value will replace the job salary.....

If they really had a real "leaked" CD, wouldn't it be an actual pressed Microsoft copy? No screenshots on their eBay of the actual disc? Who's going to pay $1,500 for screenshots?

I'd think it was a hoax if you ask me.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Who in their right mind would want to spend $1500 on a (probably blank) CD containing the unfinished Windows 8 that's supposed to go open-beta this fall?[/citation]
Journalists, Apple, other industry insiders...

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]smelly_feet[/nom]Typical of people who steal from their employer. They're bad at accounting. Profit earned from stolen good (or cost saving if they keep it) = $1500.00Minus.Loss of salary due to lost job = - $50,000Net Profit = -48,500.00or net savinging if keeping the item = -48,500.00It would be cheaper to not steal from the company and buy his/her own copy when it's released. So unless they're stealing something whose value will replace the job salary.....[/citation]
Other than stating the obvious (we know selling a leaked copy on eBay is less than an average salary), you're making a bunch of unfounded assumptions; a) that person is motivated purely by money, b) that person is going to get caught and fired c) that person isn't losing their job for unrelated reasons anyway, or has some grudge against their employer, etc.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
If this isn't a hoax, to try and auction what is essentially stolen goods takes a special kind of stupid.

eBay has clear guidelines and rules on this kind of thing, expect to see the listing pulled by the admins, then expect local cops to knock on the listers door.

I'm not saying I am against having a copy of a leaked build, but at least try to do it in the traditional manner, this is like robbing a Police car then driving it in front of the local court house and standing on the roof with a megaphone shouting "stolen car for sale!".

Special kind of stupid.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
It's definitely a fake. But at least now I know how I could make an extra $1.5K. (ignoring the fact that win8 almost certainly will come on a DVD, like winVista and win7 did...)

Status
Not open for further replies.