Windows 8 Marketing Campaign Likely to Hit $1.5 Billion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I'm just waiting for the ship to literally sink! Really, are you that stubborn and narrowminded? Listen to your consumers ffs! HELLO knock knock!!?? Are you deaf?? IT WON'T WORK!!!

1.5 billion just to force feed something that a great deal of us don't want! Way to go!

confish21

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I really enjoy win 8 despite the failures with the UI "AKA" metro. Mainly search... its just backwards. Oh and boot to desktop...

I hope it does well but I think its gonna be a poor response. Even with it being better than 7.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]I am confident it will. Start menu was inefficient and even MS said according to their statistics it was used very little. Who likes to go Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint.exe etc. no one does that anymore!! if you use a program often, you put it on the taskbar or a shortcut on the desktop. Windows 8 gives you that in a awesome way.[/citation]
I use quick launch on Windows 7 for most often used programs.
I pin frequently used programs to the start menu
I go start > all programs > program X... for rarely used programs

It works beautifully. I will never willingly sacrifice the highly efficient start button for that shitty metro interface.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
1,5bilion wasted .... even buying Yugo's for all that money would be a better investment ....

who doesn't know what a Yugo is can go Google :p

Windows 8 + Start8 = Problem Solved

Calling the operating system garbage\trash because of "Metro" alone is just childish.

One point five billion dollars is so much money, how is that possible, I've seen like 2-3 commercials only. There are much better ways to advertise and do it cheap while being much more effective. That much should have gone to R&D.

[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]I am confident it will. Start menu was inefficient and even MS said according to their statistics it was used very little. Who likes to go Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint.exe etc. no one does that anymore!! if you use a program often, you put it on the taskbar or a shortcut on the desktop. Windows 8 gives you that in a awesome way.[/citation]
exactly, if there is a program that you use on a regular basis, you pin it to the superbar, otherwise you hit the start key and start typing because searching around in the start menu is scarier than looking for a box of stuff in an attic infested with brown recluse spiders!
So what did they change in win8? If you use a program often, then you pin it to the superbar, otherwise you hit the start button and start typing... IT IS THE EXACT SAME WORKFLOW! I really don't get all the complaints. The only difference is that it lets you see more information, and more programs within the start screen. It really is an improvement all-around.

I do wish there was more customization options for the start menu background and metro color scheme. I also wish that when the desktop is in the side-bar mode that the window previews would fill the space better (specifically so I can watch shows on websites or progress bars easier while playing metro games). I also wish that right clicking with a mouse in metro would bring up a more traditional context menu next to the mouse (like it does in the metro task switcher) rather than having to move down to the bottom of the screen to make a selection. Lastly, I wish that there was one unified settings menu rather than having thing split between the metro settings menu, and the traditional Control Panel. But those are 4 relatively minor complaints, and everything else works quite nicely in the final build. Yes, there is room for improvement. Yes, things will be better when a retail kinnect PC or leap motion become available. But metro keeps the traditional workflow and use of the start menu, while opening up a whole ton of other options with the start screen and metro interface.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Windows 8 + Start8 = Problem SolvedCalling the operating system garbage\trash because of "Metro" alone is just childish.One point five billion dollars is so much money, how is that possible, I've seen like 2-3 commercials only. There are much better ways to advertise and do it cheap while being much more effective. That much should have gone to R&D.[/citation]

well it is, since the whole idea of windows was to have a better UI then DOS, now it seems we are takeing steppes backwards :)

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Windows 8 Metro/Modern-hate aside, Microsoft is like the late 2012 LA Dodgers: spend spend spend spend their way to success. Whereas they need to spend that money wisely (i.e.: St. Louis Cardinals) and learn how to market.

Microsoft's marketing is terrible!

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

Actually, that is not the point. If that was all that was different, we could live with it. But the lack of commands are the problem. When an IT professional wants to get the IP address of a box, they don't open the control panel, go to networking, right-click for preferences, etc. They do Start->run->ipconfig /all (or /release or /renew, etc) or cmd and then ipconfig from there. And when they set up scripts to do a domain full of computers, they can't do a GUI-click. It has to be commands. Even the server versions of Windows 8 and Server 2012 don't have commands. I have friends who work for M$ in their server evaluation group and all I get from them are non-stop complaints of 'OMG, they took X out!' (another very commonly used command). 'How are we supposed to setup 100 clients without X without going to each and every one in turn?!?' And they keep reporting these issues and the biggest problem of all, they keep getting ignored! Then I dare ask; 'Why does M$ employ these testers at all when they don't listen to a word they say unless it is pure praise?'. I heard from one of them that once his job was threatened if he didn't talk 'nicely' about the new products. His reply was 'I am not here to be nice to the company, I am here to test the product and give you my results. Right now I do not have joy with it on a professional level'. I'm pretty sure, but not 100%, that his area of investigation was in the backup and networking side of server versions using multiple boxes.

M$ is turning everything into a click-festival. It's ridiculous. In Office 2000 for example, you could do any number of functions directly from the top of the screen via the toolbars available for various features. Now with 2007 I think it started, you have to click over to the right tab, down to the right function, then what you wanted. First you have to know where all that crap is. We back-loaded to older office versions at work and/or even switched to other options due to productivity issues with the newer versions.

The problem we have with windows 8 is they are taking away even more productivity from various different work groups from engineers to IT professionals, etc. For my gaming rig at home, it's not horrible. But for anything professional, I do not see it getting adopted at all. Now this was all rather early in their testing cycle and I haven't talked to any of those guys in quite a while to be honest. Perhaps they have fixed a lot of those problems. But the way they were talking (over a 5-month period last time we got together), nothing was changing... If you really wanna know, I can shoot an email to them and see what they say.

And it doesn't matter what the end-user likes to be honest. The corporations are where M$ makes their bottom line. I do not see any of them adopting this anytime soon. They are also the slowest to move. Heck, a TON of companies are still using Windows XP and only now validating Windows 7 for the in-house software needs. And in some cases, their software won't work on Windows 7. Sounds odd but that is the field that I myself work in. And sometimes, it just simply doesn't work and re-writing or compiling a tool made possibly a decade ago just isn't always in the cards. And these are relatively simple transitions from XP to 7. But 7 (or gosh, XP) to 8... That's a massive change 'behind the sceens'.

I could give a crap about Metro. I don't like it myself but it's not the factor that is going to destroy Windows 8 itself. And the biggest problem is MS's own testers were screaming at them about these problems from the start and simply told to shut up. Yet again, another example of a company not paying attention to the people they are paying to do the job they were hired for... Unfortunately, all too common today.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Switching off the UI is just stupid!

I mean, it's like buying a house with a main feature - a swimmingpool but never use the pool! What's the point? Just a waste of time and money.

Then you might say "but I like the other small features in W8, such as lesser memory usage etc". However personally, I wouldn't buy a Ferrari just for the sake of the rims. Maybe it's just me but it's not like W7 is begging to be put out of its misery...

G

[citation][nom]evga_fan[/nom]Switching off the UI is just stupid!.[/citation]

Complaining about something you can change, matter of fact not buy, is pure absurdity.

DrinkTray

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
"Why don't you give me half the marketing money you were gonna bet on Windows 8. And we'll go out back, I'll kick ya in the nuts, and we'll call it a day?!" - Vegas Vacation (Variation)

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]Well then stay old! bwahahah, the rest of the world will be moving forward...after all that is how the tech industry works (it moves forward all the time).[/citation]
There are two definitions that you're blurring together here. There's "moving forward", aka progressive, and then there's actual progress. Moving forward can be confused with the definition of progressive, meaning any change must be good as long as there's change (whether it's warranted or even wanted). Progress has actual changes for the better that are wanted and is literally, an improvement. Plus, it's not actually considered moving forward if Windows 9 looks to backtrack a bit and remedy what went wrong in version 8 (looking forward to this :) ).

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

Yes the start menu was inefficient, but a touch UI is not the answer. You also have to keep it simple for the older generation.

I have tried Win8, for the most I don't hate it. Win7 is perfect though. As a technician, I love how easy it is to restart and shut down a computer. As people have suggested, they should let you have the option for a desktop or a touch screen. Not many companies will 'upgrade' to windows 8.

I am surprised to see that they say it is not used often. I see most people open things through the start menu rather than a more efficient, yet more complicated way. Some of us don't like to clutter our desktops and task bars with icons, so we use the start menu. With the search function of Win7 is really is a piece of cake, it is unfortunate that most users don't realise they can use it.

G

Bob and Vista had a child and named it Metro Modern Microsoft the 8th! With Windows ME named as the guardian! Look Jerry and Elaine come and see the Baby, Uggo, that is some baby, Owoooo! it's a looker all right! Why it's bimodal, call and exorcist!

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
@caedenv its change. they dont like change. Unless its making one company to make a suppiror product to a company that R&D money > all the revenue of a much smaller company.

genz

Distinguished
Metro is good when you aren't actually sitting at your PC to do work, like when you wanna quickly play a song to someone. Desktop without the startbar is more efficient. Cross platform with tablets and phones will be awesome, and Apple spends more than that on marketing in two years, let alone Win8's 3 year marketing run up.

Apples marketing budget per year over the last 5 years averages out at around $750m-800m a year, so I really don't see what the fuss is about.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

I completely agree with you on so many points. Commands make it much easier for professionals and advance power users, especially when troubleshooting for the average users in the office. Like you said, it is about productivity; XP was very stable & W7 is worth the upgrade for many business/education environments.
Click-fest's are most useful when starting/executing VERY common tasks like web browsers, email, and office apps. Unfortunately, when users put TOO many shortcuts on their desktop, they lose track of where the shortcut is.
One part I do not completely agree with you is regarding end-users. Although businesses are the source of big money, if employees do not like the OS at work, they might not want to upgrade/recommend PCs at home.

The Start Menu is useful when you need it. I think it is a great place to place everything you need that is not used often. The programs used most often should reside where it is easiest for the user to find.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

^+1 :lol:

G

I'm going to take a gamble that MS will bring back the start menu in a service pack, and pick up a new SSD and win8 for my desktop in a couple weeks. In the mean time I'll just use some 3rd party start menu software. They're getting me with that upgrade deal. Going from home to pro for that amount of money is just about worth being an early adopter.

Status
Not open for further replies.