Windows 8 Marketing Campaign Likely to Hit $1.5 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoneone

May 27, 2011
This will be the worst launch failure since Virtual Gameboy. Remember that!? Of course not, it went up in flames faster than Spontaneous Human Combustion. Bahahaahaa I crack myself up ^_^

hrhuffnpuff

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]This will be the worst launch failure since Virtual Gameboy. Remember that!? Of course not, it went up in flames faster than Spontaneous Human Combustion. Bahahaahaa I crack myself up ^_^[/citation]

I actually had one, bought it at an AAFES store in Fort Hood,Tx.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]I hope it succeeds in both markets PC and tablet/phone[/citation]
I am confident it will. Start menu was inefficient and even MS said according to their statistics it was used very little. Who likes to go Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint.exe etc. no one does that anymore!! if you use a program often, you put it on the taskbar or a shortcut on the desktop. Windows 8 gives you that in a awesome way.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]I am confident it will. Start menu was inefficient and even MS said according to their statistics it was used very little. Who likes to go Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint.exe etc. no one does that anymore!! if you use a program often, you put it on the taskbar or a shortcut on the desktop. Windows 8 gives you that in a awesome way.[/citation]

Wow, sounds like a Microsoft employee defending his work on metro UI and hoping he doesn't get fired for it.

barter

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
would it be cheaper just to give all windows 7 users a free upgrade instead of spending 1.5 billion to charge us £20-25 quid to upgrade? (75 million upgrades)

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]barter[/nom]would it be cheaper just to give all windows 7 users a free upgrade instead of spending 1.5 billion to charge us £20-25 quid to upgrade? (75 million upgrades)[/citation]

600 million windows 7 licenses, $40 per upgrade (digital copy, cheapest one), that's $24 Billion dollars

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]600 million windows 7 licenses, $40 per upgrade (digital copy, cheapest one), that's $24 Billion dollars[/citation]

Also, I'm not including XP SP3 and Vista which are eligible, plus we know they won't get 100% of machine upgrading.

As an MSFT investor, I don't mind them spending $1.5 billion on marketing the ROI is going to justify it.

ravinmachine

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Spend a whole lot less than that and simply give people a "CHOICE" let them us the new GUI or let them use the old one.

that way EVERYONE WINS!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]I am confident it will. Start menu was inefficient and even MS said according to their statistics it was used very little. Who likes to go Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint.exe etc. no one does that anymore!! if you use a program often, you put it on the taskbar or a shortcut on the desktop. Windows 8 gives you that in a awesome way.[/citation]

no it does not...i like the old fashion UI...it works and it's very simple...why confuse everyone and make it ugly at the same time?

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
That 1.5 billion would have been much better spent with R&D (emphasis on research) and overhauling arguably one of the worst (desktop) UI's ever created.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]no it does not...i like the old fashion UI...it works and it's very simple...why confuse everyone and make it ugly at the same time?[/citation]

Well then stay old! bwahahah, the rest of the world will be moving forward...after all that is how the tech industry works (it moves forward all the time). And seriously, how is it simple? I haven't used the start menu since like forever. I already explained my point before. So ist not simple, at least not as simple as it is in Windows 8.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
W8 price doesn't seem too high (unless that's just pre-order price). $69-139 is pretty reasonable. If they want it to succeed they can't be selling W8 for $200 or 300 because then no one's going to want to upgrade from W7, which is already a pretty exceptional OS. The same goes for the Surface, if they sell it too expensive then barely anyone's going to want to buy it over the iPad or Kindles or whatever other Android Tablets out there. MS can tank a flop but why risk it? Why not price their products at a range most people won't mind spending? Give the Surface RT a $299 price tag and the Pro a $499 or even $599 and watch as they sell millions of these by the end of this year.

G

So they are going to spend $1.5billion on marketing? May i ask the difficult question: What is the benefit of having to upgrade Windows 7 to 8?

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Wow, sounds like a Microsoft employee defending his work on metro UI and hoping he doesn't get fired for it.[/citation]

I'm sorry but where I work it's true. As soon as you place the shortcuts onto the task bar the only reason to use the start button is to log off or shutdown. That's it. I've had people call to ask where office had gone we all know that they could have found it within the start menu.

Think about it...

springhalo

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I think microsoft isn't really targeting the current windows 7 performance market (which most of this community is a part of) their main platforms are going to be laptops and tablets, which require a fast, light interface. As a crappy-laptop owner I can confidently say windows 8 is better than windows 7 on this computer. The memory usage is stellar (300-500mb) compared to windows 7 (1gb+) and startup from power-off is stellar on a slow hard drive (15-30 seconds). Metro is easy to use on an inaccurate trackpad because it requires less precision, and the search function is extremely good as well.

Sure, for my desktop at home with an SSD and great CPU, windows 7 performs its job much better than metro could, but for my laptop, it's a lovely OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS