Windows 8 Migration to 840 EVO 250GB

Shaizer

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Hey all,

I am currently in the process of moving my personal data to an external hard drive and I'm about to migrate the OS/program data to the SSD, I contemplated on doing a fresh install but I have deadlines coming up and reinstalling all the programs I need will take time so I will save that for another day.

I just wanted to know first of all if there are any steps I need to do before migration (using samsung software). My situation is a little different and I couldn't find answers around the forum -

my first predicament is formatting

I was at a LAN party and we used my SSD to transfer games between our laptops and the SSD was formatted for use with the Macbook pros (exFAT I think). I came home and reformatted through windows to NTFS with default settings - is there anything else I need to do?

Also any performance tips for after migration will be very helpful.

SSD is the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

My laptop is the HP ENVY 14 (2011 edition) - I also intending to replace my optical drive with my old hard drive for data - the hdd caddy has been ordered.

Having done this let me save you a few steps. Use Windows Easy Transfer to backup your data to the external drive. It works very nicely and everytime I used it it amazed people that thier desktop was back exactly as before (there are caveats).

That said you can look all around for Add SDD Tips and Tricks, and both from experiance and what they all say YOU NEED TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL, there is no 'migration path' with a SSD. Tried and fails badly.
So you might just bust the deadlines out first then look to the task of wiping both drives (HDD first, then the SSD) with DBAN CD (download and boot from it). Easiest way to clean and make sure 'nothing' hangs around to screw up the works later. The install SSD and Windows as your maindrive, then install the HDD later as your data drive. Done simple.

Shaizer

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Thank you for the advice Tom! I think I'll just wait then, the only concern I have is the windows installation, I downloaded it from Microsoft Dreamspark (for students) and the purchase said one computer - if I reinstall and enter the same key will I run into any troubles?

Also if you know of any guides on using DBAN CD to wipe the drives then it will help a lot (which format etc.)

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Yes just enter the same key, if you 'reinstall' more then say three times, then you need use the phone verification system (tedious as heck) and that is about it.

As for DBAN it is very basic utility and straight forward. If your really worried you can read the info on the website for it. If your not familiar with burning DVD/CD (seems like you should be since you downloaded then burned the Dreamspark edition of Windows), Windows is very good about walking you through it.

Also don't forget, as I mentioned, have a external drive to use Windows Easy Transfer, the simpliest method to backup then restore your 'data'. It won't do applications (Word, Games, etc.) and I wouldn't restore using it even if it did, it is best (as I outlined) to just do a clean install then reinstall the apps first you use, then restore your WET backup.

I would like to offer another opinion.

First, install the new SSD in your current system. Next, download and install Samsung's "Magician" software. The latest version is 4.3 (scroll down the page): http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html. Run Magician and perform a "Secure Erase" on the SSD. This will return the drive to "fresh-out-of-the-box" status.

Next, go back to the Samsung download page and get "Data Migration". This software will allow you to clone your existing C: drive (or any other drive) to the new SSD. Just be sure that your C: partition is smaller than 225 GB. (I subtracted 25 GB for "Over Provisioning". You do not want to fill an SSD completely.) Uninstall programs and delete files as necessary to get your C: partition down below 225 GB.

The Samsung Data Migration works and works really well! That is how I transferred my C: drive when I bought my 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro. Highly recommended, as long as you use the latest version from the Samsung download website. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE COPY THAT COMES WITH THE SSD. IT FAILED TO WORK FOR ME!

Good luck!

Yogi

Shaizer

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Thanks for this!

I had a look at the Magician software but I had a slight problem, when I installed magician 4.3 - it did not recognize my SSD as a samsung SSD (was connected by USB 3.0) but when I installed magician 4.21 it did recognise as samsung 840 evo but the firmware update and authentication failed - do I need to have it connected to SATA to make these work?

Also, I'm going for a clean install to have a fresh start with this.

I don't know if it needs to be connected to a SATA port to update the firmware, but from the problems that you are having, I suspect so.

If you are in the USA you may want to give Samsung Tech Support a call: 1-800-SAMSUNG. Very easy! No long waits on hold.

Yogi