Windows 8 Mouse and Keyboard Not Working at Login Screen, just installed updates

kyle_iv

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I have just installed Windows 8 Pro onto my system. Everything seemed to be working fine. I was able to use my mouse and keyboard while logged in on the desktop, I logged in and out multiple time. Then I was notified there were many updates for my system. I proceeded and downloaded and installed every update which required a restart of me system. Once I restarted my computer, it went on to the login screen, and my mouse/keyboard were unresponsive. No lights on the keyboard. The mouse lights up when I click, not when I move it around. I put the computer to sleep by tapping the off button on the desktop, I could not wake it by typing or moving the mouse. In the BIOS the mouse and keyboard work fine, so why does it not work on the log in screen? I tried to use safe mode and that did nothing. I tried moving around all my usb devices, I plugged only one in at a time, I removed them all, then while at the login screen I plugged in my mouse and keyboard, that did nothing. I also restarted multiple times, pulled the plug out on it. Now I don't know what to do.... My computer is now practically a brick.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get me through this and fix it, I would greatly appreciate it
Thanks,
Kyle

Solution

Hmmm! Not easy to repair without a disk! If you have access to another machine capable of burning a disk, or if you have a USB flash drive (4Gb?) you can still download the ISO from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204
You'll need your Product Key to enable the download.

kyle_iv

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

No, I installed Windows 8 through the update tool which did not require a disk.

Hmmm! Not easy to repair without a disk! If you have access to another machine capable of burning a disk, or if you have a USB flash drive (4Gb?) you can still download the ISO from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204
You'll need your Product Key to enable the download.

Solution