Windows 8 Network Shares

bluestarCVO

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hello everyone. I've been troubleshooting this problem literally for days and I am hoping someone can help me out. This issue involves my network shares, specifically the Windows 8 ones. I have 5 computers on a home network. They are as follows:

Desktop-Windows 8 Pro upgraded from Windows 7
Laptop 1-Windows 8
Laptop 2-Windows 7
HTPC 1-Windows 8
HTPC 2-Windows 7

First of all, all computers are members of the same workgroup and can "see" one another just fine. The Desktop acts as a server with all my documents, music, video, etc. stored on it. All Windows 7 computers can access the shares on the desktop just fine. The desktop can access all the other computers (Win 7 & 8) just fine. The problem is that neither of the Windows 8 machines can access the Windows 8 desktop's shares. The desktop shows up under "network", but when I click on it to access the shares, I get the message that "windows cannot access Desktop-PC. Check the spelling of the name. Ohterwise there might be a problem with your network."

Now, what's strange is that the Windows 8 laptop and htpc can access eachother's shares without problem, but either one cannot access the Win 8 desktop's shares. The other thing about it is, if I switch to a local account from a microsoft account on either the laptop or htpc, I can then access the Windows 8 desktop shares without issue. This is not an acceptable workaround though, as I want to be able to use the Microsoft Live account on all the Win 8 computers to get the benefits of account/password syncing, etc.

I have tried many things, such as disabling antivirus/firewall, resetting router, disabling IPv6 on all machines, tinkering with all settings under advanced network settings. I am at a loss. Since the other two Windows 8 machines can access eachother's shares easily, I figure that it has got to be something specific to the Desktop/Windows 8, or either the Microsoft Live account.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

Thanks in advance!

Carl

bluestarCVO

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Thank you for your time and response. Unfortunately, that article will not help me as it refers to domain logon accounts which I do not have. I am just on a home workgroup.

I would expect it is a credentials mismatch. I would do the following.

on the client:
start cmd.exe as a admin
remove all connections to the target machine Via
net use * /d
now attempt to establish a session to the IPC$ share of the Server machine

net use \\server1\ipc$ /U:serveruser1 serveruser1password
you have to provide the username and password as stored in the \\Server1 machine SAM database. (the local userid and password database for non domain machines)

if you get a connection all of your UI programs will piggyback credentials off of this first connection.

if you try
net use \\server1\ipc$ this will by default send the local machines account credentials
which most likely are not in the servers local SAM database and will fail

bluestarCVO

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Thank you. I tried your suggestion, but it keeps telling me invalid username or password, which I know is not true. It is the same password I use on all my other computers to connect to the same share. Thoughts?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently for the username I have to use the full username for the microsoft account (which is actually my email address) to login with net use. So it shows I am connected now but when I try to use the gui to access the gui I am still getting the same message that windows cannot connect...

nope: if you use your email name your credentials are being checked by the Microsoft server. You want to use credentials that can and will be validated by your local server. On your local server start cmd.exe as a admin then run
net user
to dump the names of the users that the server has local accounts for.

for example: server1 create a admin account of winadmin with password foo

at client1 you logon to your machine as billy@hotmail.com
the Microsoft server validates your account and you login
now you start cmd.exe as a admin

to connect to your local server as follows
net use \\server1\ipc$ /u:winadmin foo

the /u:winadmin foo
overrides the default supplied credentials (billy@hotmail.com yourpassword)

and your server looks at its SAM database for the user winadmin with a password of foo
if it finds it you should get in.

nope, this is for non domain credentials

if you type net user command and get a list of usernames it is looking in the SAM database
on the local machine. You can unplug your network cable to confirm. SAM database is located at c:\windows\system\config\sam

yea, having everything in the same homegroup with the same homegroup password will make life a lot easier.

bluestarCVO

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Just to let everyone know that I did come to a resolution. After a week of fighting with this and losing sleep, I decided that it had to be something to do with the fact that this desktop was upgraded to Windows 8 from Windows 7. The other two Windows 8 machines were fresh installs and could see eachother fine. I decided to do a clean install of Windows 8 on the desktop, and I'm happy to say that the problem is now solved! I can access the shares on the new install just fine now. This actually worked out for the best as the old install was almost 3 years old and beginning to get cluttered. It was time for a good cleaning! Now everything is running perfect and fast. Thank you everyone for your help!