Windows 8 - No boot device found !

RazorG90

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
So I was playing a game on my pc and suddenly the screen went blank and it showed -
checking media [ Fail ]
checking media _

And then it showed -
No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine_

I'm totally stuck please help me !!!

sound like you just experience a catastrophic hard drive failure
is your primary OS hard drive an SDD or regular SATA HDD ?

boot to bios/uefi (F2 or DEL while booting) and look into the drives sections (varies location depending on motherboard (make and model would help me)
and see if the system recognizes the drive at all if not, open case and make sure the drives isn't physically disconnected (sata or power disconnected from it and motherboard.)

RazorG90

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
I have a SATA HDD as my boot drive. There are no other drives. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 and I have never opened my laptop since I bought it. Except the small cover covering the CPU and RAM. And when I go into the boot settings it shows hard drive - Not Installed. And when I tryou to boot it shows - PXE-61 : Media Test Failure , Check Cable.
PXE-MOF : Exiting PXE ROM
No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine

well PXE-61 : Media Test Failure , Check Cable. PXE-MOF : Exiting PXE ROM is the system trying to boot from a network drive (this can be turned off in bios settings (Network Lan boot option) not that it affects the drive not booting either way.

1. time to open cover and see if the drive is properly seated, pull it out push it back.. and try to boot,
2. otherwise to make sure it is not a motherboard issue I would put the drive in an usb external enclosure and try to access the data on the drive from it that way.(using a different computer of course)
3. if you can access then like there is nothing mechanically wrong with your hard drive (except maybe the boot strap is messed up) you could try from that same pc access ing the drive to boot from the external usb drive to see if you get same message. if you do, then likely your mbr is messed up if it boots then is the sata controller on the laptop chip that has died on you.

what make and model is your laptop ? (dell Inspiron 15-xxxxxx look on the label)