Windows 8 No bootable device

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
My Toshiba Satellite laptop has suddenly wiped itself, when I first turn on my laptop it says the usual 'Toshiba Leading Innovention (Or something like that) after that it says
" Intel UNDI , PXE-2.0 (Build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.1.1.2(09/06/12)

Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F : Exiting Intel PXE Rom.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

I've tried many ways to try and get it back to its original state, I've turned the laptop of, turned it back on while pressing F2 and made some changes (That I found on youtube) I changed them back once I realised that they didn't work, I turned the laptop off again, this time I pressed 0 until I heard a long "Beep", this didnt result in anything popping up either (Just the same as above).
Lastly I shut down the laptop again but this time I turned it on while pressing F12, this made the Boot Menu load, a list was shown:

1. HDD/SDD Toshiba MQ01ABF050 (S1)
2. USB
3. ODD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208FB (PM)
<Enter Setup>

I used all of these options each but this resulted in the "Intel UNDI , PXE-2.0..." again

I did not have access to a Boot disk due to not receiving one when getting the laptop, and I don't intend on getting another Boot disk/recovery disk, is there another way I can get my laptop back to its original windows 8 setup? Or a way to downgrade to a windows 7 for free? Or is that improbable?
My laptop is as following:
(This is what it says on the bottom of the laptop)

Toshiba Sattelite C50D-A-138
PART NO. PSCGWE - 02900XEN
DC 19V 2.37A
Serial No. ZD162665S

Please help:)

*Update*
I plugged my ethernet cable into the laptop, this created the following message:

"Intel UNDI , PXE-2.0 (Build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.1.1.2(09/06/12)

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 0C 54 A5 49 D2 37 GUID: 50C92141-1066-E381-2CBD-0C54A549D237
PXE-E53: No boot filename recieved

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

Has this shed some more light on what the problem is?

Also, I will update this again when I get new DVD's to get the Seatools, or do I have to have CD's?

Also, is a copy of the OEM free? Please:)

Solution
Download Seatools for DOS (free) from HERE, burn to a CD and boot from it. Then test your HDD to see if it has failed. That is the most likely cause of this problem.

If your drive is functional your choices are quite limited since you do not have an install disk, and Windows 7 is not one of them unless you buy a license.

You need a copy of the OEM full installation disk, aka: en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4065090

The problem is that short of being an MSDN user it is not distributed, yup pretty short sighted by MS.

RealBeast

Titan
Download Seatools for DOS (free) from HERE, burn to a CD and boot from it. Then test your HDD to see if it has failed. That is the most likely cause of this problem.

If your drive is functional your choices are quite limited since you do not have an install disk, and Windows 7 is not one of them unless you buy a license.

You need a copy of the OEM full installation disk, aka: en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4065090

The problem is that short of being an MSDN user it is not distributed, yup pretty short sighted by MS.

Solution

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015

Thankyou, I'm now installing the OEM, I couldn't believe that it's over 3G! But I guess it is a 64 bit. (I'm worrying because the laptop that i'm downloading the OEM on has very little Gigs left on it...) Also I'm getting new Dvd's to get the Seatools. When I put the Sea tools onto the Dvd, do I just insert it into the Toshiba laptop, and wait for the program to load up? And what would you expect to happen? Would it just say " Your drive is functional"?

If my drive is functional, do I just insert dvd with the OEM Full installation disk?

Also, what does MSDN mean please? And Ms.

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
I have put Seatools onto my computer, the device scan is now done, I've taken a picture of it, but i'm not sure on how to show you it...
(I think I did it here)
Let's try that. I'm now starting a long test to see if that'll do anything, once that's done, I'll wait for the OEM to be done, atm its at 445 MB , Only 2,555 MB (Near enough I think) left.

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015

When I click on 'Tests' it merges with Basic, so I'm basically pressing 'Basic Tests' , I clicked it but it didn't come up with run hard drive tests, I'll tell you what each tab tells me:
Basic Tests: Short Test, Long Test and Acoustic Test.
Advanced Features: Set Capacity to 32Gb, Set Capacity Manually and Set Capacity To MAX Native.
Help: Contents, License and About
Exit: Exits me.

I'm not sure if this is bad or good:/

Also, the OEM is now 1.3 GB downloading , so I should have around 1.7 or 2.5 GB's left:)
Staying up all Night:D Making sure it Downloads properly! Woo!

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Oh no. The OEM is now at 3.2 GB, this has taken almost 2 days I think, I've got an CBT on tomorrow:/ So hopefully It'll be done by then. As soon as the OEM is done, I'm burning it onto a DVD and maybe I'll make a copy of that, just in case. Hopefully it works! :D

RealBeast

Titan
I'm still not convinced that your HDD is working properly. Please re-run the SeaTools from a CD and see if it passes all of the tests.

Is that Windows 8 this exact version: en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4065090

You can put it into another computer that is running and read the full disk name off the properties.

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Right, I found something on my computer, when I load the Windows 8 OEM disk, it comes up with Install now, I dodge that button and click 'Repair my computer' instead.

This comes up with numerous options, non of them work unfortuantely but I did find something that could help.

One of them said that my hard drive was locked...
Another said it was unable to reset my PC. A required drive partition is missing, I don't know what this means so I was hoping someone could help, I'll try and find other ways to get the windows 8 to start working within the oem disk

RealBeast

Titan
The drive partition missing for a reset is the OEM partition. You are beyond a repair at this point, if your HDD is even working.

You need to do a clean installation, select the install now choice and if you can choose advanced/custom install do that and as a first step unpartition all partitioned spaces shown on the drive and then install to the remaining single unpartitioned space.

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Hmm.. When I click Install Now it comes up with Setup is starting, I have to wait to get more options.

After that I get these following options:
Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, settings, and applications
and
Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced

When I click the Upgrade one, this comes up:
The computer started using the Windows installation media, Remove the installation media and restart you computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. [Do not select ICustom [advanced]I to perform an upgrade. ICustom [advanced]I installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings.]

The other one comes up with this:
Where do you want to install Windows?

The drive says this:
Drive 0 Unallocated Space 465.8 GB 465.8 GB

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
How would I install, since the install now button just pulls up those options, and I can't use either of them... I'll be asking my friend if he can get a backup copy of his window's 8 computer and see if i can load it up on my computer...

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, you want to install on Drive 0 with the 465GB of unallocated space.

Using an image from another machine won't work unless his computer is *identical* as the various drivers will be wrong and cause a crash. Where he could help you would be to mount your HDD as a secondary drive and run some tests on it from his computer.

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Sadly his computer isn't identical, and also that drive 0 cannot be installed on either for some unknown reason... I'll tell you hat it says when it doesn't work:
We couldn't install Windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive. Here's more info about what happened: 0x80300024.

I don't know what this means, hopefully you know.
Also there's a button called Load driver, but I don't think that'll do anything since I haven't put any drivers onto it...

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Bios boot order? And yes I believe that I do only have that drive installed...

Tomorrow I'm going to ask help from my friend who knows quite a bit about fixing computers, I gave the computer when it first stopped working but since he wasn't in his place at the time he didn't have any equipment to help e.g. he didn't have the instillation disk or anything, but he does now:)

What's the Bios boot order?

Now Evel

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
When I continually press F2 on startup the setup utility comes in, I scroll over to boot and this list shows up (In this order)
1. HDD/SSD TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050 (S1)
2. USB
3. ODD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208FB (PM)
4. LAN Atheros Boot Agent