Windows 8 No Shut Down

TTuren

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
This is the second time that my Windows 8 has developed a shut down problem. When the power off or restart buttons are selected the system ignores the commands. On both occasions the problem started when windows did its auto update. The only power off method that works is pulling the cord. Changing the power options did nothing. I know that on both occasions the windows start-up app is running around 35% of the cpu. I do not want to reinstall Windows 8 AGAIN. Any ideas?

I'm truly learning to HATE Windows 8. :(

Jorgem_93

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
It happened to me only once, all I did was press the power off button until the computer was off and when it restarted the thing fixed itself and I could turn it off normally.

TTuren

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
That doesn't work for me. All the proposed solutions I have seen involve the system shutting itself down for a reboot such refreshing windows 8. Problem being the system will not shut down on its own but the refresh attempt indicated that windows was missing files...

Is that including holding the power button for 5 seconds? Because that would be an issue with your motherboard, not your OS...
You should never pull the power cord when the computer is in use - it can be extremely damaging.

TTuren

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Its not a hardware problem at all. Pop in my ancient XP HD and its all great. It is a Windows 8 update problem. For some reason the updates are causing the OS to lose its shutdown files. It is entirely possible that a repair disk would fix the problem and I will make one as I expect to have this problem again with Windows 8. As it stands the Refresh option combined with the original Windows 8 disk (to pull the missing files from) and a loss of power did fix the missing file problem. All it cost me was most of the contents of the HD and about 2hrs of time to reload what refresh wiped.

Cant wait for the next update! This is the most troublesome OS I have ever used.

Any way to shut down the auto update function?

Excalibrated

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
My desktop developed the same problem. Solved by disabling the recommended "Fast start up". Choose the Search charm, type in Power, select Settings, Select "Change what power buttons do", deselect "Turn on fast start up". Done. Possibly a bug in Windows 8 which will be fixed in due course.

Snowy2013

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

I have just got the same problem, yet my power settings havent been changed or anything but the computer wont restart or shut down unless i hold down the power button on the base unit any ideas?

Allan Watson

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

But my HP Sleekbook does not have a CD or DVD drive. The problem started either after a Windows Update or a failed attempt to try Ubuntu.

cbay

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I bought a lenovo b590 that had to be force shut down from the beginning. Tried everything to resolve. Would go into a hibernate mode that it would not come out of (i think). Ended up getting a replacement from lenovo. Problem solved!!!

Allan Watson

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
I tried restoring from the backup made by EasyBCD, but although I could now shutdown, I couldn't start Windows. I ended up running the HP Backup/Restore which took several hours, but now full operation is back.