Windows 8 Now Ready for MSDN, TechNet Subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I must admit the more I use it the more I like it. I am finding it a little difficult to not open the 'Metro' screen while remoting on to a server and clicking its start button... I guess it will all come out in the wash, but for now its shiny and new.

G

Failure or not, i am not going to 'upgrade' for something that is half done.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I'm curious if these "professionals" have used Windows 8 longer than a day. The way they talk about it makes them sound like clueless children who are complaining about how they can't use it even though they just received it.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]I'm curious if these "professionals" have used Windows 8 longer than a day. [/citation]
I cant really speak for the "professionals" but when I got access to the Developer Preview I had trouble with finding drivers that worked on my machines. Today I have had success finding raid drivers so I can install it on a more serious test bench instead of stuck testing on a laptop with no compatible video drivers. Now the real fun begins.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]I cant really speak for the "professionals" but when I got access to the Developer Preview I had trouble with finding drivers that worked on my machines. Today I have had success finding raid drivers so I can install it on a more serious test bench instead of stuck testing on a laptop with no compatible video drivers. Now the real fun begins.[/citation]
Please post somewhere!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]I'm curious if these "professionals" have used Windows 8 longer than a day.[/citation] I have Windows R8PE on a dedicated notebook with a Core2 Duo CPU / 667Mhz DDR2 memory with a typical 5400RPM 2.5" notebook drive.

Windows 8 runs smooth, it boots up in 15 seconds (past POST) which is faster than my Quad with an SSD. Its quite impressive. The tweaks to the desktop are quite nice - except for the metroized- desktop interface design. The UI design in 8440 is perfect, IMHO.

But metro makes it all not worth it. Otherwise I would jump all over this $40 upgrade version.

Oh well. When I move to Linux, it'll be free.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I have no problems running Windows R8PE. I run it full time on an old 5+ year old notebook with Core2Duo (2.0Ghz) 667Mhz DDR2 memory and typical 5400RPM HD. Its rock solid stable, I'm not having any driver or software issues so far. Everything works, its slick. Boot time after POST is 14~15 seconds with my stop-watch. WOW! My Intel Quadcore with an SSD takes a bit longer with Windows 7.

I'm impressed! The tweaked features are all good. Only the flattened UI elements are ugly, unlike the very nice tweak in the Win8 8440 RP version. UGH!

Metro makes none of these things improvements worth using the OS as a whole.

Oh well.

[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]It is a bummer MSDNAA (Dreamspark Premium) users have to wait till Aug. 25th-31st.[/citation]
it is a free download from the MSDN website... literally anyone can go get it and there is no product key (just a "I will kill your computer in x days" counter in the corner).

So I have been playing with it all afternoon at work and showing it to some of the volunteers. Just about everyone said the same 3 things:
1) If I was not already similar with windows shortcut keys I would be totally lost
2) I like the idea of the new UI, but it will take a lot of getting use to
3) It's damn fast!

it is loaded on a C2Duo 1.8GHz with 2GB of ram and an old 80GB HDD we had laying around, integrated graphics, nothing special. I can't wait to play with it on a real machine at home (i7 with 16GB of ram... soon to have RAID0 SSDs woot :D), as well as my old little netbook with it's 1GB of ram and duel core Atom CPU and see how that runs (likely no different than the CP did).

My own impressions (note that I actually like the idea of the new interface, but just thought it needed improvement):
1) Much improved on keys/mouse input support, while it could still be better it is at least now usable
2) It feels faster than CP, but most of my expierence with CP was on a netbook, so that may just be the difference between CPUs
3) Thought I would miss Aero, and while I do a little, I would be lying if I said the new desktop was 'bad'
4) A few WTH moments trying to find where they moved some settings... seriously, why move things? we knew where they were before.
5) Stoked that Minesweeper is back! lol at the fact that minesweeper now gets product updates... I mean that is just sad.
6) IE10 sucks even less now that it nears a final build, but still not winning my business back from Chrome or FF
7) Office 2013 looks much more at home on win8 than it did on win7; still think I will stick with my old copy of office 2007

I have installed Win8 on my super crappy 2007 Atom netbook (1.6 GHz). I was somewhat surprised that I didn't need to DL a single driver. Everything worked right from the get go, with literally ZERO configuration(!). Win7 Basic is definitely lighter than Win8 (Win8 IS however lighter than Win7 Aero), as evidenced by the battery life of the netbook which is shorter now than it was with Win7 Basic. The Metro UI doesn't bother me much, since I just stick to the desktop (and use sleep, as opposed to power off), and on a netbook I only use a handful of apps which you can just pin to the taskbar as per usual. All in all, I'm finding Win8 a giant leap sideways. I'd say take it or leave it at this stage.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Great so they didn't fix the navigation in the Modern UI for desktops and notebooks where you have to jam your mouse or touchpad into the bottom corner screen just so the navigation arrows appear so that you can scroll to get to things. No programs menu tab to get to your programs without having to go through the apps. No shut menu tab without having to jam your mouse or touchpad down in the corner first to wait until settings appear to then be able to get to the shut down menu. No way of booting right into the Windows desktop without having to go through Modern UI and no shortcut to get back to the Mordern UI without jaming your mouse or keyboard again at the lower corner of the desktop until the Modern UI window appears. So how is Windows 8 easier to use and takes shorter time to find things when you have to take 3 extra steps just to get to something in that you didn't have to do in Windows 7/Vista/XP/9x?????

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Failure or not, i am not going to 'upgrade' for something that is half done.[/citation]
Guess that means you'll never use an OS - because none of them release to date were "done" at release.

So, how's DOS 1.0 treating you?

G

I don't dislike Windows 7 at all. So I really have no incentive to upgrade to Windows 8 at any price. I don't hate Windows 8 but I certainly do not care to learn Windows 8 when Windows 7 works perfectly fine and I am very familiar with how it works.

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Great so they didn't fix the navigation in the Modern UI for desktops and notebooks where you have to jam your mouse or touchpad into the bottom corner screen just so the navigation arrows appear so that you can scroll to get to things. No programs menu tab to get to your programs without having to go through the apps. No shut menu tab without having to jam your mouse or touchpad down in the corner first to wait until settings appear to then be able to get to the shut down menu. No way of booting right into the Windows desktop without having to go through Modern UI and no shortcut to get back to the Mordern UI without jaming your mouse or keyboard again at the lower corner of the desktop until the Modern UI window appears. So how is Windows 8 easier to use and takes shorter time to find things when you have to take 3 extra steps just to get to something in that you didn't have to do in Windows 7/Vista/XP/9x?????[/citation]
1) Scrolling on the start screen and metro apps can be done with arrow keys, multi-touch (you may need something other than the default driver to enable multitouch), or my moving the mouse 'past' the edge of the screen. If the touch pad has a scroll pad section you can also use that, or you can simply start typing the name of the program you wish to access. There should be no reason to 'have' to use the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen, it is just there as an assist if you cannot use the other ways.
2) Shutting down the computer can be done by closing the lid, pressing the power button, win+c settings and shut down, ctrl+alt+del lock the computer and select shutdown, or moving to the upper or lower right corner settings and shutdown. However, win8 is really not meant to be shut down, and in fact only goes into hibernate mode when you do. Restart is the only way to refresh the computer.
3) Yes, you need to press one button to go to the desktop (poor you). How is accessing the start screen any different from 'jamming your mouse down in the corner' to get to the start menu on win7? It is still there. you can also alt+tab, hit the win key, or hit the link on the charms menu. Besides, if you are mostly using desktop items there really is very little reason to ever access the start screen if you do not want to, so this is a rather moot point.
4) there is 1 extra step from win7, and it only has to be done when you first log onto the computer, which is clicking on the desktop. Personally I did find this annoying at first, but now that I have used it I have come to view the start screen like walking into the office and heading to my desk. On the way I get to see the weather, get a feel for how many messages are waiting for me, and I get to see the status of most of my friends which are pinned there, and when in a hurry it takes less than 1 sec which is hardly something to complain about. Other than that I have links on the desktop and superbar for my most used programs, and other programs are accessed by pressing the winkey and the first few letters of the program name which is exactly the same as it was in win7 so I am not sure exactly what the complaint is.

I'm not saying that you can't dislike windows 8, there is plenty to dislike; like the odd ADD color schemes, that the UI is too similar between apps and it is sometimes hard to tell what app you are in, the fear of becoming a closed environment, that it requires a relatively modern CPU (would not run on an old P4 even though it should be able to), that they require a higher resolution for absolutely no reason to run metro apps on an older netbook, that you cannot snap metro apps to take part of the screen on a 4:3 monitor even when you have plenty of resolution, that they have terrible organization of settings divided between classic and metro menus, that many of the classic menus have had things moved around for absolutely no reason, that there is no native DVD or BluRay support (or HDDVD support... which they developed and should be free to throw in), that it requires much more ram than is really nessessary to install the OS (previous builds ran 64bit just fine on 1GB of ram, and RTM has an even smaller footprint but requires 2GB), that the gadgets are gone (even though I only used the weather one... it is something I have gotten use to over the years), or genuine concerns about what happens if your MS ID is breached (which would potentially expose all your linked social accts, email, CC information, and files on skydrive!).

As much as I love win8 it is not all roses, but your complains have more to do with you not knowing how to use a computer, and less about a 'problem' with the OS interface.

forgot to mention, some touchpads will allow for win8 gestures such as swiping in from the edges to bring up metro menus, but my bet is that those features will not be added to older touch pads that are now out of development.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Squeeks - When you buy a new car, it should come with tires off the lot.[/citation]
If you are going to use a car analogy, try one that is at least partly accurate
It's like buying a Bugatti Veyron, but the leather isn't exactly the right shade of brown you prefer, because obviously the buyer doesn't give a flying fig about the engine

Status
Not open for further replies.