Windows 8 oem back up

Aneeque Safdar

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
I was wondering that if my windows 8 oem ssd or hdd fails, can i install the windows 8 from the cd that i received using the same product key, considering everything is the same but the ssd or hdd?

Or do i have to create recovery disk which contains the system image?

Solution

Absolutely. And it should activate automatically as the product key is linked to your Motherboard. You may have to use Telephone Activation if you reinstall more than 5 times.

Although your recovery DVD will restore your Windows Install, it's best to create a System Image on a regular basis as it returns your System to exactly the way you had it before a failure. You would still need the Recovery DVD to access the System Image

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
If you have a USB stick of reasonable size, another solution for Windows 8 systems is to Create a USB Recovery Drive with the system image included. This is the same system image used by the Refresh and Reset features in Windows 8. Simply enter Recovery Drive at the Start Screen, select Settings and select Create a recovery drive and ensure that Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive is selected.

Also, yes if you have a disk that is for the same edition of Windows 8 you should be able to install using your product key without any issues, though if it is standard media you will need to install applications and drivers separately which may be included in the factory image.

g-unit1111

Titan

While that is true, it is false to say that manufacturers give you no option to create installation / restoration discs. Windows actually has a built in tool for that:

1. Go to Start menu.
2. Click on control panel.
3. Click on the "System And Security" Tab.
4. Click on the "Backup & Restore" Tab.
5. Click on "Create A Backup Disc" on the left hand side.
6. Follow the command prompt that comes up. You will need about 3 or 4 discs to create the restoration discs.

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
While the Windows 7 File Recovery feature is available in Windows 8 at the moment, it is not located under the category mentioned. You can access it easily by entering Windows 7 File Recovery at the Start Screen. There is also no “Create a Backup Disk” option on the left side; the option is titled “Create a system image”. There are instructions for creating a System Image available here from Windows Support. Technically confident users can also use the instructions provided by Microsoft Support here to create your own Refresh image complete with your custom configuration of applications.

Aneeque Safdar

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
As i am actually building a new system i had to buy windows 8 pro 64 bit oem, so i was wondering that could i use that disc and the product key that i received to install the windows again on a second hard drive if my first OS hard drive fail and no longer works? This is because i prefer fresh installs than using recovery media (although i will create a recovery disc or usb just in case) but would prefer a fresh install.

Thanks for you replies :) !

Absolutely. And it should activate automatically as the product key is linked to your Motherboard. You may have to use Telephone Activation if you reinstall more than 5 times.

Solution