Windows 8;Product key doesnt match

JukeMC

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
I had a laptop with Ubuntu installed on it,then I recently found a Windows 8 OEM version disc I had a while ago so I decided to install it on my laptop.
But after I click install,I get an error message:
"The product key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key."
I didnt entered the product key at this time,and when I click the X button or OK,it just sends me back to the Install button.
I do have the product key for it.
I did created PID.txt and EI.cfg file using Command Prompt in the DVD but whenever I install it after rebooting,the files are gone. I did launched Setup.exe with Command Prompt after making those files but that didnt worked too.
Is there anything I can do?

You cannot write to/modify a DVD after burning it.

Simply use the DVD as intended and don't bother doing anything on the command line...

Note that if it's a white box OEM DVD (e.g. Dell, HP branded), you probably can't use it for anything but a computer with the relevant SLIC keys in the BIOS.

JukeMC

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014

"Simply use the DVD as intended",you mean by just inserting the DVD and installing it? I had problem with that so thats why I made the PID.txt and EI.cfg.
Also the OEM DVD i have is from Microsoft.

JukeMC

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014

The problem i was referring to was that the installer gives "The product key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key.",which I said in the first post.
The laptop came with Windows 8 (pre-installed),then I installed Ubuntu inside right away,then now I want to install Windows 8 on it again.
The key I have and which I want to install right now is a different license from Windows 8 which was pre-installed in my laptop.

The problem i was referring to was that the installer gives "The product key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key.",which I said in the first post.
I read that as being the error you got when you messed with the ei.cfg file etc.

OK. The White Box OEM keys (which your laptop has) will only work with a DVD from that manufacturer (Dell, HP etc. Whoever's name is on the laptop lid).

System builder discs, which I think is what you have, should work with a system builder key but not White Box keys. Is it giving you the error before or after you enter the key? It's possible the disc is auto-detecting the WB OEM keys in the BIOS but knows it can't use them.

If you want to use a retail key, you'll need a retail disc.

So, we need to know exactly what type of key and disc you have, and how you got them.

JukeMC

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014

Like I said Im getting the error before I entered the product key.
I have a Windows 8 OEM disc which did NOT came with the laptop,and I bought it from a local computer store.