Windows 8.....Pros and Cons?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

Thanks a lot pyree, I will experiment on this. :sol: :sol: :sol:

Well, that link I posted is 64 bit without developer tool. saga lout provided the 32 bit version and area51reopened provide the link to the page with everything, that page was where I download it from. If you need 32 bit or need developer tool, go to that link and thank saga lout and area51reopened.

I am going to google for program with compatibility problem with window 7 even in compatibility mode and see if window 8 can do better.

Did a brief search, too lazy to go deeper to find a software that won't work on window 7 compatibility mode, or are there any? Suggestion?

NelsonVe

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I know this is a “developers” release but I already know that I don’t like metro, it gets in the way of doing work.
The way I see it we now have three platform environments Tablets, or Pads, Desk tops and laptops. The deference could be compared to Air, Land and Water. While Air and Water share some similarities they are never the less different but at the same time requiring many of the same parameters to operate efficiently; laptops can be touch screens or mouse, tablets are usually touch screens but can also use a mouse. Then there’s Land where real heavy duty work is done and requires heavy duty machines, usually using a mouse and keyboard as the pointing device, while desktops can also use touch screens they normally do not come with such devices mainly because the arm will tire quickly after reaching fro the monitor to move things around or point to the umpteenth icon, application, etc. Metro works fine in the tablet and laptop environments but on a desk top it simply gets in the way.
Suggestions:
MS should consider making the OS smart enough to know what environment it is being installed in and setup the GUI accordingly, this would be an auto detection algorithm or give the users a choice; choices are always better than no choice at all.

You left out Phones.

"I don’t like metro, it gets in the way of doing work."
I don't find this to be true in my case. Within just a week's worth of experience and experimenting I didn't find any limitations to getting my work done. I'm not using any touch screens at the moment.

"Metro works fine in the tablet and laptop environments but on a desk top it simply gets in the way"
My laptop and desktop environments are virtually identical and perform the same tasks and workloads.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
in my rig i got a problem with sound drivers, I tried to fix with MS visual studio but i cant done it well. Any suggestion, its a test rig for win 8 64 bit.audio codec is ALC662 from Realtek (Intel board dg41rq).

thanks

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Secure Boot has been supported by quite a few computer since 2008. Microsoft only requires it enabled by default, they specifically said they have no problem allowing it to be disabled.

Also, it's only a requirement if you want the Windows8 Logo on your computer. You can still sell computers with Windows8 an no secure boot, you just can't use the logo.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

So far I've notice tremendously fast start up and log-in times, but I suspect that is due to the Operating System having no drivers or processes to load of any sort. As the release stages progress into Beta, then Release Candidate and then more updates, it should climb up. However as of now, on my laptop with an Intel X25-V SSD, the OS boots in 3-4seconds Flat and login is 1 second. Very Impressive.

Internet Explorer 10 is pretty buggy, but I installed chrome and seems to work excellent.

I cannot place my laptop into Standby mode at all....not sure why. It is quite annoying, but I can tolerate it a bit due to the intensly fast boot times.

I absolutely hate the fact that you can't create desktop shortcuts unless you search for the apps into the program files folder, but I fixed that by downloading the Metro UI tweaker and taking away the entire fancy start menu interface and replacing it with a regular windows 7 style start menu.

Resource usage is similar to window 7 if not lighter and the OS is flying so far, very stable, no crashes and excellent performance. I like it.!

Here is my bootloader menu. Win8 and Linux can play nicely together.
I understand the default bootloader scheme is not ideal for you but there isn't an actual limitation to what you can choose to run.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thatnks for that WR2, it's very useful and much like my Win 7 bootloader but my understanding is it's harder to organise in W8. I'lll start playing with it properly this weekend - haven't had time before now - and if as it obviously can be done, I'll do it. Did you use BCDEDIT or edit an existing menulst in Grub or Lilo?

The Win8 Logo requirement / UEFI boot environment is certainly something to keep an eye on.
As Kewlx25 mentions if the Secure Boot option can be configured or set off you can probably end up keeping large enterprises, goverfments and enthusiast users satisfied.

Another item on the con side of this balance sheet is the increasing need for touch-screen technology W8 encourages. Microsoft has always been known top rachet up the hardware requirements but this one is going to prove quite expensive, especially for parents.

Add to that the fact that the incidence of RSI - Repetitive Strain Injury - to young wrists is increasing because of the constant use of mobile touch screens and text messaging on small buttons or screen keys. Some articles predict some of today's teenagers having claw-like hands by their thirties I suspect Windows 8 will add to that problem.

I promise I'll stop posting the negative side of W8 now and concentrate on its good points when I find some. :D

A couple of points - one is I turned off the Metro using the RPEnabled tweak from above and I still get a blank screen on clicking the Start button. Will spend some more time in the Registry if no-one else has any ideas.

The second is that MSE doesn't want to work in W8 and I feel distinctly naked online with no AV. Anyone found one that works or is this just a Developer Edition problem??

The registry change works perfectly on my VM. I don't why it didn't work for you. Try the other method using 3rd party software.

I am going to dl MSE to test it.

I cannot update definition. My internet is working and firewall is set to off but still cannot update definition. Maybe MS server block it.

Although I can run scan alright.

Not to worry - you've been protected all along with built-in AV and malware protection. You've been getting AV definition updates and probably not even realized it.

ss003.jpg

Pros
The interface is nifty
It comes with Developer tools
It's a heads up on what the final product will look like
You can influence the final product with your feedback

Cons
It's a build. It's not even a beta at this point
It's different from what we're use to with windows.