Windows 8.....Pros and Cons?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

No, it simply implies a lack of faith in Defender. :D I've isolated the system from the rest of my network, having found it works quite well with the settings it took from the W7 setup it overwrote, so there's not much harm it can come into.

Correction. Disabled window firewall and update on window defender works fine. Pretty stupid to not list window defender as a trusted software.

I also try Avira, but window defender is shutting down Avira I think. I am going to disable it and see what happen.

Update: Still not working

meh. I am just going to uninstall Avira and enable window defender again. Too lazy to figure out why.

I think it's an indicator Defender is on the way out and won't be included in W8. Along with many others, I've never had enough confidence in it to leave it in sole charge of malware protection. I've tried installing MSE twice since with no better luck.

Matter of interest the errors are Compatibility Issues and 0x004FF04.

athornfam2

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
pros- windows 8 is better on the CPU when it comes to playing games, the system boots faster, easier to get to installed apps in a sense

cons- windows 8 is really for tablets, why have a browser and all the other stuff in metro when you can't access it on the desktop, internet explorer 10 sucks, when upgrading you can't delete windows.old

The developers of those programmes are probably working on them right now. They have the same Developer Preview we're all looking at, and had it no sooner than we got it. Some programmes and utilities always fall away when a new version of WIndows comes along and so do some hardware drivers.

Sup Mal..

I'm not particularly active on here yet, but most of the discussion seems to be centred around love vs hate for the Metro UI, what the best way is to get the W8 Dev preview running, and how well it works compared to Windows 7. I suggest you get the preview running and try it out for yourself, rather than having your opinion coloured prematurely.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

i got same problem but, after trying for morethan 1 hour i disabled the defender and installed norton 360. but i didn't tried avira.

Ps. I loved avira for years but present its not the strongest. :cry:

curtomo788

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

just right click each icon so they appear with a tick in the top right corer of the tile, the unpin. then the select browser just press the windows key on he keyboard an it takes you back to the start, next hover over the bottom left corner of the screen brings up what's running and right click on what you don't want and close or just simply open the task manager an close it from there