Windows 8 Re-Upgrade Procedure

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I will be getting an SSD soon and plan to make that my boot drive instead of the HDD I am already using. However, my installation media that I bought back when I built the computer is windows 8. I was planning on reinstalling + activating Windows 8 on my ssd, followed by doing the free upgrade again to 8.1 through the store.

My question is: what should I do in terms of drivers while I am setting everything up? From what I remember the 8.1 update touches very little in terms of data on the actual drive. However, since I will be going directly to 8.1 as soon as windows update is finished giving me the important stuff, should I just install some of the key drivers I might want for a stable installation, or should I just do all of the Windows 8 drivers and then update them all to 8.1.
*I was planning on installing the Windows 8 LAN, nvidia gpu, chipset, and sata drivers, as I figured that would be the best way to have a quick and stable installation of everything else until I get to 8.1

Another thing that I was wondering about, although I doubt it's allowed..is it possible to install 8.1 through an 8.1 installation media, and activate it using my old windows 8 product key that I got before 8.1 came out and which is already tied to the desktop I am doing this all on? Or is that just wishful thinking?