Garch

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
PACKARD BELL iMedia S 2885 Desktop PC

OVERVIEW
Type Desktop
Operating system Windows 8.1
SPECIFICATION
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor (3.2 GHz, 3.4 GHz with TurboBoost, 6 MB cache)
RAM 8 GB DDR3 (16 GB maximum installable RAM)
Storage 1 TB HDD, 7200 rpm
CONNECTIVTY
Wireless 802.11 b/g/n
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
USB - USB 3.0 x 2
- USB 2.0 x 4
Video interface - HDMI x 1
- VGA x 1
Audio interface 3.5 mm jack
MEDIA
Optical disc drive DVD/RW
Optical drive speeds - Read: 16x
- Write: 16x
Memory card reader 5-in-1 memory card reader
Expansion card slot - PCIe (x1) x 1
- PCIe (x16) x 1
FEATURES
Mouse / trackpad Wireless
Keyboard Wired
GENERAL
Colour Black
Box contents - Packard Bell iMedia S 2885 Desktop PC
- AC power adapter
- Mouse
- Keyboard
- Quick Start Guide/Manual
Dimensions 180 x 413.6 x 393.9 mm (H x W x D)
Manufacturer’s guarantee 1 year

I have had the above machine for just under a year now (refurb). Last night I decided to switch off the machine and it took over 5 minutes to power down (black screen, but power still going to the PC) so I did hold down the power key to force a power down (I know stupid thing to do), it wasn't installing an update or anything like that.

So today the PC will not boot. I will explain:

- Power comes on (1 beep)
- Screen stays black with no power going to it (no Windows logo)
- Keyboard "appears" to work (not sure about the mouse)

I have attempted to go into BIOS/Recovery by holding down F8/Shift +F8/F9/F12/ESC and so on with no luck.

I have also attempted to load from my recovery USB drive that I created when I got the machine, but it does not appear to be working (Front USB's appears to be working with lights on).

I have removed and re-inserted the RAM & have unplugged the machine and open the unit in an attempt to try and clear the CMOS, but could not find the motherboard battery (or is this old school).

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Kademlia

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Per Vembutech "Start the PC in safe mode and then check for the file fntcache.dat in "c:\windows\system32" and delete the file. After doing so please restart the machine."

However I find a problem to get into safe mode since Windows 8 will not allow access before the system starts and makes you go into windows and then type in recovery in search and restart with advanced options...horrible design on that part.

You said you used a recovery USB. Is it a windows 8 boot Image? Use that to see if you can hit safe mode.

Garch

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I can't get into safe mode. I can't get into anything! All I get is a black screen (I have checked the HDMI connection and the ensured the screen is on the right settings)

Kademlia

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

I know these days all they have is digital copies but can you can get copy of the boot disc by any chance? I am trying to think of another way to safe mode.

If you can get the install media try a start up recovery. if my first step upon getting into safe mode does not work.

Kademlia

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
yep boot media seems the only way I can see. Most windows 8 installs are on UEFI BIOS setting meaning you cannot use the classic F8 or F8 + SHIFT.

also as an update it looks like the recovery USB you have only works in Windows 8. that is to use it to boot into safe mode.

Garch

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
The first thing I did when getting my new PC is attempt to make a recovery disk, but for love nor money would it do it!!! I really don't think I can get hold of a Windows 8 disk. I'm now wondering if if might be a hardware issue, but I haven't done anything to the system

Kademlia

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
It is very annoying that microsoft took that F8 feature away. The best way to see if it is a hardware problem is download Hiren's boot CD and run diagnostics. If you want to start off small on that same boot CD that have a "memtest86" test that you can run which is microsoft's memtest. I guess while you are looking for a boot disc you can do that. I am leaning toward software though.

You bought the OS separate from your computer? I see that it is refurbed but I don't know if you mean the parts and you put it together or you bought the whole thing refurbed. Either way did it come with the OS or did you buy that retail separately?

Kademlia

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Wait a minute omg...i am just now registering your post i am sorry. You hear a beep but you do not see the BIOs screen? like a Motherboard logo? nothing?

And it also looks like you have an internal video on that motherboard right?

The one beep means a successful POST (Power On Self Test) Meaning a quick test of the hardware is good.

Kademlia

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

It's fine i am going into a meeting soon. Do you only have an internal video card? It sounds like the computer is booting fine but you are not getting video.

If all you have is an internal card you can try the other slots. try to VGA instead of the HDMI. I dont expect results from this but its worth a shot. The best thing to do would be to goto the store real quick and buy an external PCI video card (make sure there is a return policy on it and keep the receipt) that would fit your PCI slot. If that works then your internal video on your mother board is out. If not return the card.

A PCIe slot is what i am reading in your OP. You can actually get a nice card if we find out that it's your internal video. I would not recommend internal video for a gaming machine.

Garch

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
Sorry. Got my PC back from PC World and they confirmed that there was a problem with the motherboard, they didn't say what it was exactly but I am guessing it was an issue with the onboard graphics card. Working now. Thanks for all the advice and help

Kademlia

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

Odd they had to of replaced it. I was wondering why you were not getting a POST test. Take care.