Windows 8 Reset

PraiseTheSunBro

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello i have windows 8.1 and a hard drive split in two partitions one that has the games and one that has the programs and the os installed
If i reset my pc with the option that windows 8/8.1/10 give will it format both partitions or only the one that the os is installed?
Thank You for your answers!

Solution
Welcome to the TH community, PraiseTheSunBro!

Windows Reset does remove everything from your computer. Think of it as a complete Windows re-install. It will erase the data from both partitions indeed, so it's better to do a back up elsewhere beforehand. After the reset, your computer will be back to its default state, before having any data.

If you want to save your data, you can Refresh Windows 8. Refresh functionality is fundamentally still a reinstall of Windows, just like resetting your PC as described above, but your data, settings, and Metro style apps are preserved. However, all manually installed apps and programs will be removed.

Here's a link from MS that might shed some more light on those two...
Welcome to the TH community, PraiseTheSunBro!

Windows Reset does remove everything from your computer. Think of it as a complete Windows re-install. It will erase the data from both partitions indeed, so it's better to do a back up elsewhere beforehand. After the reset, your computer will be back to its default state, before having any data.

If you want to save your data, you can Refresh Windows 8. Refresh functionality is fundamentally still a reinstall of Windows, just like resetting your PC as described above, but your data, settings, and Metro style apps are preserved. However, all manually installed apps and programs will be removed.

Here's a link from MS that might shed some more light on those two: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Good luck! Hope it helps! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

PraiseTheSunBro

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

Ty for your Answer!

Ranjha Singh

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

Here is a question if your windows is corrupt will refresh do the trick or not

Hey there, Ranjha Singh!

I'm not sure that the Refresh will do the job. I think you should consider running System file checker by typing sfc /scannow from the Command prompt (run as admin) in order to determine how corrupted Windows really is. You can check this kb article from MS for assistance: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

I'd consider doing a Restore instead but keep in mind that your data will be lost, so make sure you have backed it up elsewhere.
If that doesn't fix the issue, you should try fresh clean install of Windows as a last resort.

Best of luck to you too! :)
SuperSoph_WD

TRENDING THREADS