Windows 8 Safe Mode

jtrainx

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I am trying to find out how to start Windows 8 in safe mode. My brother just got the FBI Moneypak Virus on his computer and I cannot find anything on how to get rid of it on Windows 8. Since we cannot start his computer out in safe mode I am at a loss. Whenever we try to boot up his computer it just goes to a white screen after the log in screen. I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get for this.

jtrainx

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

This worked for me. Now I just tried to boot the computer in safe mode and it still ends up bringing a white screen on. Can someone tell me how to fix this please.

You need that Installation disk! Either that or a bootable antivirus, but a refresh of the OS should suffice.

Lotusdemon

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Windows 8 boots into safe mode by default, That's what the start screen is for. Once you go to desktop, programs are able to autorun. To rebuild the startup sequence and registry, type "refresh" from the start screen and if you have a windows live account, your data and Microsoft certified apps will remain. The only way windows can be infected is if people give permission to comparable executables or download desktop programs that operate outside the Windows 8 sandbox (like chrome, Java, adobe reader, Firefox, any 3rd party antivirus.)

What's the point of all the answers to direct the OP into Safe Mode when he painfully obviously can't boot from his HDD? Either normally or into Safe Mode? Can't do much with a blank white screen... Repair or Installation disk the only way out...

mjordan552

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

This presumes you have a repair disk. Most people don't.
First off forget ANY advice that talks about pressing the F8 key alone or in any combination. THE ONLY WAY TO GET WINDOWS 8 TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE IS FROM THE BIOS.

Power the computer down. Hold the on/off button down the PC powers off. Then power it back and immediately tap-tap-tap-tap whatever function key gets your computer in BIOS. Different makes of computer have different enter BIOS keys but the usual ones are F2, F10, or F12. It may also be Del or Esc. The point is CAN get into BIOS if you tap-tap-tap the right key as the computer starts up.

Once you get into the blue BIOS screen, using the arrow keys, select <HDD Recovery> and press "Enter".
On the next screen you are asked to confirm if you want to contiue with recovery. Select "Yes".
The computer will bring you to the Advanced startup screen.
Select Troubleshoot.
Select Advanced options.
Select Startup settings.
Press Restart.
Select Safe Mode from the list.

mjordan552

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Forget the "incredibly precise timing". You could be at it all day and still not get it. Another good reason NOT to get Windows 8 if you can help it but if you had no choice --- On a PC that came with Win8 YOU CAN GET TO SAFE MODE FROM BIOS SETUP. Boot up pressing whatever key that gets your computer into BIOS then highlight HDD Recovery and press "Enter". On the next screen you are asked to confirm if you want to continue with recovery. Select "Yes". Advanced startup screen. Select Troubleshoot. Select Advanced options. Select Startup settings. Press Restart. after restart you get a menu. Select Safe Mode from the list

You're assuming all BIOS have the HDD Recovery option, sadly, I suspect that in the majority of cases they don't... meanwhile sound advice to anyone running Windows 8 that don't possess an Installation disk, create a Repair Disk ASAP...