[SOLVED] Windows 8 shutdown sound plays on windows 10 and 11 randomly.

Jan 27, 2022
Hello, I never ever met with something like this before, so basically for some reason I hear windows 8 shutdown noises randomly. Playing games, watching videos, talking to friends. My pc is perfectly fine with everything else. I upgraded to windows 11 just now and this devilish sound is still playing from time to time. Send help :)

The exact sound I am hearing:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE68gp6qSKM

Solution
Could be another application,

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

this just stops programs from loading with windows, it doesn't remove anything.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Ralston18

Titan
Use "WIN" + "I" > System > Sound > Sound Control Panel (upper right corner) > Sounds tab.

You should see a window that allows you to select and change sounds related to quite a long list of Program Events.

What appears to be random is actually some background/Program event that is using the Windows 8 shutdown sound as notification.

Try testing the Program Events to discover which Event(s) are using the Windows 8 Shutdown sound.

Jan 27, 2022
Use "WIN" + "I" > System > Sound > Sound Control Panel (upper right corner) > Sounds tab.

You should see a window that allows you to select and change sounds related to quite a long list of Program Events.

What appears to be random is actually some background/Program event that is using the Windows 8 shutdown sound as notification.

Try testing the Program Events to discover which Event(s) are using the Windows 8 Shutdown sound.
There isn't anything that uses the problematic sound, but I will try the no sound option in the control panel, maybe the thing im looking for is hidden?

Ralston18

Titan
Okay: There are other things you can do.

Use File Explorer to search for the .wav files - especially those that are used by windows.

Start at C: drive and use "Win*.wav" (without quotes) to find sound files. Unfortunately you may need to click through all of the sound files to find out which file generates the sound and then use the file name to further track down possible reasons.

There may be some help available in another way.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that are captured at the times you hear the sound.

Run as Admin.

Because you are not seeing any pop-up windows with error codes and warnings, my thought is that the sound is probably being generated by some informational event. No guarantee about that - so do look at error codes and warnings anyway.

Reliability History uses a time line format. Much more user friendly. Just keep Reliability History running and minimized. The next time you hear the sound, open the window and look for new entries. You can use the same method with Event Viewer - just not as easy to navigate and understand.

Starting point in Event Viewer = Windows Logs > System. Again you will probably need to look at the other choices as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Could be another application,

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

this just stops programs from loading with windows, it doesn't remove anything.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Solution

SSJBart2003

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Thank you everyone...now my sounds have been changed to Windows 95, lol on purpose! I still remember upgrading to Windows 95, hearing the Microsoft sound and watching the Weezer video!!

Jan 27, 2022
Okay: There are other things you can do.

Use File Explorer to search for the .wav files - especially those that are used by windows.

Start at C: drive and use "Win*.wav" (without quotes) to find sound files. Unfortunately you may need to click through all of the sound files to find out which file generates the sound and then use the file name to further track down possible reasons.

There may be some help available in another way.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that are captured at the times you hear the sound.

Run as Admin.

Because you are not seeing any pop-up windows with error codes and warnings, my thought is that the sound is probably being generated by some informational event. No guarantee about that - so do look at error codes and warnings anyway.

Reliability History uses a time line format. Much more user friendly. Just keep Reliability History running and minimized. The next time you hear the sound, open the window and look for new entries. You can use the same method with Event Viewer - just not as easy to navigate and understand.

Starting point in Event Viewer = Windows Logs > System. Again you will probably need to look at the other choices as well.
While looking trough the sounds I found out it to be "Windows Shutdown.wav" and there for some reason is 2 copies of each sound. I checked properties and it seems to be located in "C:\Windows.old\Windows\Media" I think these sound were in my old installation of windows. Can i just delete the folder?

TRENDING THREADS