Windows 8 silent install in Windows 10?

Pigus

Honorable
Apr 2, 2017
Hello,

I need help. Every time I restart or turn on my PC, windows.old folder keep appearing in my SSD and HDD disks. Even, deleting/uninstalling windows.old folder using storage settings because it doesn't appear in disk cleanup. It eats too much of my ssd space ( the last time i checked before deleting the folder it was 120gb and keeps getting bigger).

Also, a .tmp file keeps appearing in task manager every restart. Before this .tmp file takes a lot of cpu usage (40-50% cpu usage). But now, no more cpu usage, just memory usage. Even deleting this .tmp file in the temporary folder doesn't help. It just disappears when deleted and comes back after restart.

And, earlier I just realized that deleting the ,tmp file stops the windows.old from eating my storage space. Also, deleting the windows.old folder automatically deletes the text documents in the temporary files folder where the .tmp file is. I checked, this documents and surprised to see,from what i understand is, it is silently installing windows 8 OS. And, the windows.old folder is from what I know is my current operating system (windows 10).

Please check attached images.

https://ibb.co/c6Cjxk

https://ibb.co/cbiXHk

Hope you understand what i'm saying.I'm not really familiar with this. And, is there any way to stop windows.old from appearing every restart.

Thanks.

Solution
windows 10 only creates a window.old folder after a version update, I guess you would remember having an update that takes about 40 minutes to install. That would have been the version update. Thing is, the windows.old folder is meant to disappear 10 days after the version update. So if you haven't had a 40 minute long update in last 10 days, I wonder why its back again.

driver updates tied to the windows.old folder as they created by it, and they disappear if its not there. So how to stop it appearing again

Here are the proper ways to delete it: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-delete-windows-old-folder-windows-10-a.html
I don't fully understand what your problem is, but if you delete the windows.old file and it keeps coming back, and it grows in size, then something must have gone wrong with your upgrade from Windows 8 to 10. When I upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8, it did create the Windows.old file (which contains my documents, photos, music files, etc.), but it is only 6.9GB and does not grow in size over time. I have not bothered to delete it yet, as it is not causing any problems.

I would suggest you back up all of your data and do a clean installation of Windows 10. When doing so, disconnect your HDD so that boot files don't get written to the HDD. That could be the cause of your current problem, if the HDD was connected when you originally installed Windows 8. Try disconnecting the HDD and see if the OS boots from your SSD. If it doesn't boot, that will confirm a problem with the boot files being on the HDD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
by reboot, do you mean restart or turning PC on/off? Main reason I ask is they cause different things. Windows 10 only ever actually turns off when you do a restart. Turning it off/on with power button in windows just puts it into hybrid hibernate, its just sleeping

So a restart might let it remember you have deleted that file already, instead of reloading it again.

was win 8 ever on PC before? curious what happens if you do a clean boot - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Pigus

Honorable
Apr 2, 2017

I was using windows 7 before upgrading to windows 10.

Pigus

Honorable
Apr 2, 2017

Sorry for misunderstanding, I mean restart and turning on the pc. And, i was using windows 7 before upgrading to windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
No USB drives attached to PC randomly running win 8 install on start up? Or a DVD in the drive?

Did you try a clean boot?

win 10 will create a windows.old folder after an Version update, when was the last windows update you received?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter

What build number are you on? latest is 1703 .. still doesn't explain why it reappears after a restart

Pigus

Honorable
Apr 2, 2017

Yes, I'm running Ver 1703 (OS Build 15063.413). And, I don't have any win 8 installer in my storage or startup.
http://

Colif

Win 11 Master
looking at files, I don't think its a Win 8 install, they all seem to do the same thing, all talk about USB devices which could be an install process but Remove.exe = a process tied to Trend Micro anti virus

Can you search PC for file name Remove.exe and see what directory it is in?

can you upload each txt file, as screen shots don't show everything. Curious what its trying to do.

Do they all have UpdateRouterFilter in them as that to me sounds like a command an antivirus would try to do.

Pigus

Honorable
Apr 2, 2017

Tried looking for Remove.exe and UpdateRouterFilter but cant find anything in the PC. Also, I only have windows defender as anti virus. Uninstalled norton before because it wont open.

Colif

Win 11 Master
UpdateRouterFilter is just a command, didn't expect you to find it as a file...

try running a malware scan, and run defender and see if its a virus instead.

could be nothing happens as its looking for remove that doesn't exist. curious problem

Do any of these appear in the event viewer?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I won't say I am an expert as I try to avoid looking in event viewer, so many errors and warnings...

Go to custom views/admin and look in centre column and scroll down through all the errors and wanrings and see if any talk about the files being created
sort by date/time and look at start up time.

Don't worry about errors/warnings - they are pretty normal for Event viewer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
vid_093a&pid_2521 = a mouse driver (Targa perhaps?)
vid_1c4f&pid_0002&MI_00 = this but its not very informative - looks like keyboard drivers
vid_1c4f&pid_0002&MI_01 = Human Interface Device

So all 3 are to do with Interface (KB/Mouse) so wonder why it started when it did.

looks like its trying to update the drivers, do you have generic mouse/kb?

Pigus

Honorable
Apr 2, 2017

No they dont. I've been using this a4tech keyboard before upgrading to win 10. And, the msi ds b1 mouse is just plug and play.

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows 10 only creates a window.old folder after a version update, I guess you would remember having an update that takes about 40 minutes to install. That would have been the version update. Thing is, the windows.old folder is meant to disappear 10 days after the version update. So if you haven't had a 40 minute long update in last 10 days, I wonder why its back again.

driver updates tied to the windows.old folder as they created by it, and they disappear if its not there. So how to stop it appearing again

Here are the proper ways to delete it: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-delete-windows-old-folder-windows-10-a.html

Solution

Pigus

Honorable
Apr 2, 2017

I actually have 2 windows.old folder. 1 in the C drive (an ssd, where OS is installed) and D drive (hdd, for storage).
I'll try the one in the link later, when i get home. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS