Windows 8 Support Will End in Two Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
At least Windows and Apple support their operating system for many years across devices both on desktop/laptop and mobile platform.

Support of OS for bug and security fixes plus new features is such an underrated consideration for device purchasing.

Sorry M$, but since you are forcing the update from 8 to 8.1 it should be free : You created a bad (unwanted) OS and instead of patching it you got a new version out.
In the end, this is one of the cause of piracy.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Actually, as has been said, it is free if you own Windows 8.

This is kind of a non-issue... It's like saying "MS no longer supports Windows 7 without a service pack." Ok, that's fine - just get the service pack. If you buy Windows 8, Windows 8.1 is a free update... So Windows 8 support won't matter, since you'll just update to 8.1 and have that updated.

Windows 8.1 is a fancy way of saying "Windows 8 with the first service pack."

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Meh, it's MS trying to rebrand itself. I think they took a cue from Android on this whole scheme... Rather than release each individual incremental update as some service pack that most people don't even realize is happening, make a big deal out of each semi-major update and make it sound like it's some whole new version - when in reality, it's just a few small'ish feature changes and security updates. Windows 8.1 is to Windows 8 what Android 4.1 is to 4... Neither is insignificant, but they are both about the same type of leap we saw between Windows 7 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - just, that didn't have the fanfare of these new OS updates.

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Again Tom's is making misleading article titles. Whoever is the lead editor must have a real bone to pick with Microsoft letting these purposefully misleading title get through...

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

The problem is, MS has openly invited this by rebranding Windows 8 with Windows 8.1, and that is pretty much squarely on them. They aren't going to be selling Windows 8 any more soon, they'll be selling Windows 8.1. That being the case, saying that Windows 8 support ends in two years is entirely accurate, and entirely within the rights of news sources.

If MS didn't want this to happen, they should have dubbed Windows 8.1 as a Windows 8 service pack. They're rebranding for marketing purposes and, well, here we are.

Perception is everything. In the spirit of rebranding a simple version update sounds a lot better than something with a service pack applied to it.

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Again Tom's is making misleading article titles. Whoever is the lead editor must have a real bone to pick with Microsoft letting these purposefully misleading title get through...

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
8.1 is a free update to Windows 8 which came out barely a year ago and in two years because Windows 8 is crap. Windows 8's support will be history, Meanwhile, Windows XP will have barely been "dead" a year and a half. This speaks volumes to me about the longevity of Windows XP and the complete lack thereof for the *original* Windows 8.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Great, just great, I can see what is going to happen. I'll update my Win8 to 8.1 and the entire thing will break. I can already see the BSOD's coming. I would like to upgrade when I *want* to, not be forced to.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Isn't Windows 8.x guaranteed support until 2023? And, you do realize that Windows 8.1 is basically the equivalent of Windows XP service pack 1?

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Isn't Windows 8.x guaranteed support until 2023? And, you do realize that Windows 8.1 is basically the equivalent of Windows XP service pack 1?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

Just some quick info for you, ok here we go firstly Windows 8.1 is a fancy name for Windows 8 SP1. Now you say that Windows 8 went away in one year yet XP is still going, well just to help your life a little I will give you a timeline. Windows XP was released in August of 2001 and guess when the first SP came out, September 2002, yes just a little over a year later sound familiar? That's not all though, Windows XP had a LOT of problems (people did not want to switch from Windows 2000 because of the changes) that were not fixed until the SP, again sound familiar? Not only that but Windows XP did not become what it is now until SP3, which was released in 2008! Yes, it took MS 7 years to make Windows XP the powerhouse it ended up being yet you complain about Windows 8, which works perfectly and is a good OS? You need to jump off the bandwagon and learn to see things for yourself, don't let what others say affect you so much and you will be smarter for it and not make stupid comments like the one you just did.

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
I have full license Windows 8 Enterprise version... I tried it and didn't like it... I went back to Windows 7 Ultimate version...

I will stick with Windows 7 for a while... or get Linux or MacOS

Status
Not open for further replies.