Windows 8 Tablet Demos May Arrive in June

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Nothing says, "Buy a WP7 unit today" like announcing the successor before the first round gets traction, amirite? And I'm SURE that 8 will run on today's hardware, just like the way WP7 could be installed on all the WP6 devices...

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]randomstar[/nom]"Anyone out there actually using a Windows 7 phone out there?.."Would be if they had been available for Verizon..[/citation]

Exactly. Geniuses at MS thought it was a good idea to just go with one provider AT&T like the iPhone did and hoping to get the same stellar sales numbers. Of course that didnt happen and Win7 Phone overall has failed even though it is a decent OS but was too lil too late when it came outas well as poor track record. Luckily MS has deep pockets and will continue to push it. As for Windows tablet, it better be stellar because again Windows is coming to the tablet market VERY late!

G

I've had a WinPhone 7 for 4 months now and love it. It happily replaced my iPhone 3G.

pur3_purpl3

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
You guys don't understand the premise of Windows 8, do you? It's not a phone OS. It's not a tablet OS. It's Windows 8, but it has been optimized to potentially run on mobile devices, since that's where the market is heading. Comparing iOS 4.3 to Windows is like saying lab rats are more intelligent than humans... Believe me "prematureannouncementftl", releasing the next version of Windows goes waaayyy past Win Phone7, because PC's are, and always will be, faster, better, and cost more money - hence, releasing a new, popular, version of Windows, at the expense of stunting the growth of a mobile phone OS, is completely valid, and not weird at all.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]pur3_purpl3[/nom]You guys don't understand the premise of Windows 8, do you? It's not a phone OS. It's not a tablet OS. It's Windows 8, but it has been optimized to potentially run on mobile devices, since that's where the market is heading. Comparing iOS 4.3 to Windows is like saying lab rats are more intelligent than humans... Believe me "prematureannouncementftl", releasing the next version of Windows goes waaayyy past Win Phone7, because PC's are, and always will be, faster, better, and cost more money - hence, releasing a new, popular, version of Windows, at the expense of stunting the growth of a mobile phone OS, is completely valid, and not weird at all.[/citation]

You're clueless where popular computing is heading, aren't you? 95+% of the computer using population (and that includes most businesses) have no need of a desktop OS. They may not realise it yet, but it will dawn. My doctor's surgery was full of Dell's a year ago. Now they all have iPad's

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]You're clueless where popular computing is heading, aren't you? 95+% of the computer using population (and that includes most businesses) have no need of a desktop OS. They may not realise it yet, but it will dawn. My doctor's surgery was full of Dell's a year ago. Now they all have iPad's[/citation]
Sounds like someone is paying too much for their doctor...
But our purple friend is right; win8 is going to be an OS that is not exactly limited to a specific market. It will be the same core OS with a different face depending on what the device has capability for. This is of great importance because Windows wants to move away from the PC market, but keep everything with a specific and standard set of protocols and workflow. The idea being that in theory (depending on how exactly they implement it) you should be able to use your phone, or other similar device, and use it as your 'portable C drive'. This could then be 'plugged' into a surface device, a PC, or perhaps even a game console, and you would have access to all of your programs and files anywhere. But in order to do this proper and on the fly, they need to have every device have a similar OS behind it which will support this functionality. It's so much more than the idea of some cute 'iPad' or 'iPhone' like device, it is about having a portable user profile that will run on anything. I really hope they pull it off!

G

Sounds like MS is keeping the system requirments down for win 8 much like they did for win7. Very good news.

willie nugs

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
[citation][nom]caeden[/nom]Sounds like someone is paying too much for their doctor...But our purple friend is right; win8 is going to be an OS that is not exactly limited to a specific market. It will be the same core OS with a different face depending on what the device has capability for. This is of great importance because Windows wants to move away from the PC market, but keep everything with a specific and standard set of protocols and workflow. The idea being that in theory (depending on how exactly they implement it) you should be able to use your phone, or other similar device, and use it as your 'portable C drive'. This could then be 'plugged' into a surface device, a PC, or perhaps even a game console, and you would have access to all of your programs and files anywhere. But in order to do this proper and on the fly, they need to have every device have a similar OS behind it which will support this functionality. It's so much more than the idea of some cute 'iPad' or 'iPhone' like device, it is about having a portable user profile that will run on anything. I really hope they pull it off![/citation]

Now that sounds like a good idea

rutoojinn

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Exactly. Geniuses at MS thought it was a good idea to just go with one provider AT&T like the iPhone did and hoping to get the same stellar sales numbers. Of course that didnt happen and Win7 Phone overall has failed even though it is a decent OS but was too lil too late when it came outas well as poor track record. Luckily MS has deep pockets and will continue to push it. As for Windows tablet, it better be stellar because again Windows is coming to the tablet market VERY late![/citation]

Actually Verizon's CDMA network makes it hard to release a phone for them at the same time as AT&T's GSM. It was either Verizon only or GSM providers. This includes foreign markets. Other than that AT&T they do suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS