Windows 8 Tablet Shipments to Exceed 75M Units by 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I wonder how much M$ payed to have that Cr$p put on Digitimes.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Our company would actually benefit a lot from Windows 8 tablets.
We run two-monitor setups in our office (Using the tablets would make 3!) and run VM's but sometimes we have to go on-site and take our laptops with us which is inconvenient (Having to try and find a stable platform to put the thing on to type etc..)

With a tablet you can just cradle it in one arm and type on-screen.

mrg2222

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Our company wouldn't, because it's unclear at this point why it will help us do things better or cheaper. Until I can see a clear advantage, I will not recommend rolling it out.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
In other news, Apple's iPad shipment to exceed 75 million units by the end of this month.
Jokes aside, If MS really wants that figures to be realized, they really have to get aggressive with the pricing. And $499 for the entry model is not what most people called "aggressive pricing".

implosionone

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]jumping[/nom]I wonder how much M$ payed to have that Cr$p put on Digitimes.[/citation]
I'm not sure which part is the Cr$p.

That the sales for Windows 8 is projected to be only 75 Million over a three year period. Consider that Windows 7 sells about 20 Million every month. It's going to take them 3 years to to do what Win 7 does every 3-4 months. Or that they will only have about 8% market share with Win 8.

Consumer confidence looks to be very low for Windows 8. There's no way Windows 7 is going away any time soon. If it does MS may as well close the doors to the OS market.

G

Wow, I actually expect them to have more than 8% in two years. If I had to guess, I'd think it would be closer to 20-30%... I think the first year will be slow, but by the time the Silvermont chips launch next year and the app library is more robust, I feel like Microsoft will have the most compelling tablet.

Who knows what the competition will do in that time though... I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out though. I do think that both Android and iOS have better app designs so far. But the ability to use a wacom pen and traditional windows software make that pretty easy to overlook for me.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]n1tr0[/nom]Is this prediction from the same geniuses who have predicted Windows Phone to overtake IOS by 2015 back in January ? "The Lumia 900 will change the smartphone world"...http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Window [...] 13958.htmlMaybe the Digitimes report was written before the RT pricing announcement ?[/citation]

RT just sounds like a bad joke. Actual, full Windows 8 tablets are where it's at. I'm hoping to replace my iPad 2 with one early next year. But at the $500 price point, if you aren't getting a REAL operating system, and it's between Windows RT and iOS, I can't see why you'd go with RT.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]implosionone[/nom]I'm not sure which part is the Cr$p.That the sales for Windows 8 is projected to be only 75 Million over a three year period. Consider that Windows 7 sells about 20 Million every month. It's going to take them 3 years to to do what Win 7 does every 3-4 months. Or that they will only have about 8% market share with Win 8. Consumer confidence looks to be very low for Windows 8. There's no way Windows 7 is going away any time soon. If it does MS may as well close the doors to the OS market.[/citation]Windows 8 and Windows RT TABLET sales of 75 million. Not Windows 8 total sales. Not even close. Your entire post is invalid, and just plain silly.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tuffjuff[/nom]RT just sounds like a bad joke. Actual, full Windows 8 tablets are where it's at. I'm hoping to replace my iPad 2 with one early next year. But at the $500 price point, if you aren't getting a REAL operating system, and it's between Windows RT and iOS, I can't see why you'd go with RT.[/citation]Office, IE10 w/ Flash, Xbox Live, Skydrive integration. More storage, better radio, MicroSDXC expansion. Soon Xbox Music, if you're into that sort of thing, and it won't be locked exclusively to a single company's devices unlike iTunes - Xbox Music will be spreading even to non-MS operating systems. Then there's hardware choices, and competition among vendors selling RT systems. Hopefully we'll soon see a $400 or less WinRT model built out of more traditional materials.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]am I the only one who chuckles every time I see the "can it play crysis" comment?[/citation]

These days, I think so. Maybe 2 years ago it was still a chuckling statement.. but now it's buried and worn out. Just like the "No HDMI, no deal" or "Does it have HDMI?".

G

But the world ends in 2 months.

so who gives a damn right? /sarcasm. or is it?

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]implosionone[/nom]the sales for Windows 8 is projected to be only 75 Million over a three year period. Consider that Windows 7 sells about 20 Million every month. It's going to take them 3 years to to do what Win 7 does every 3-4 months. Or that they will only have about 8% market share with Win 8. Consumer confidence looks to be very low for Windows 8. There's no way Windows 7 is going away any time soon. If it does MS may as well close the doors to the OS market.[/citation]

I would say MS may have to close it's doors to the Desktop OS market if Windows 8 on desktops isn't changed and Windows 9 flops even harder.

But, you have to keep in mind that this is just tablets, this isn't including Desktops and the OS by it's self. So the total number of "Windows 8" sales will be higher than just Windows 8 on tablets. Some people will still buy the OS on the desktop.

Expecting to jump from 0% to 8% market share in just tablets in 2-3 years is a big mistake in my book if they are counting on it happening. Given the pricing, the current global markets, and that some people already have tablets. It really doesn't seem likely to happen, unless I'm overestimating the number of tablets already out there.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
There will be many tablet convertibles, that it isn't easy the specify what is counted here. Could be 5 million, could be 500 million.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]At least we finally got some quality tablets coming in. All we've had are iCraps and shitty android tablets[/citation]

We all would love to have bluescreen tablets!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jumping[/nom]I wonder how much M$ payed to have that Cr$p put on Digitimes.[/citation]
why i think it's crap is because there's no way they can predict this before the tablets are even up for sale.m it could be more than 8%, or it could be less. i think it'll be closer to 35%.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]We all would love to have bluescreen tablets![/citation]
Am I the only one who likes to see an error message when there is a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.